Trial errors

The SVG files are all compiled into Dorico’s resources, so they’re not present as separate files. I’m sure that the data must be installed correctly: the issue is why Dorico seems to be unable to display it on your (and apparently only your!) two computers.

What about all the other images on the blue background? Like the conductor or music stand in the layouts or the notes and rests in write mode? Are these SVGs, too? They all display perfectly.

Also an issue (though a minor one) is that the program icon in the top left of the window isn’t showing up, I get the windows standard program icon instead. Might that be related?

And another thing I noticed: The images for note spacing in the layout options are shown (but not the images for vertical spacing)

No, the other images in the interface all come from a custom UI font that is installed along with Dorico. The “image” on the Note Spacing page of Layout Options is also not an SVG, but rather is drawn in the same way as the music in the score itself, so that it can update dynamically to show you the effect of changing the spacing values.

I’m afraid I still don’t have any bright ideas, and until I can talk to the rest of the team next week I’m unlikely to have any flashes of inspiration.

Ok, I hope they’ll have an idea. Thank you for your work!

Moin old_toby,

I’m no Dorico user, but i’ve seen missing screen elements in other current Steinberg products. I suspect it’s a conflict between their graphics framework and Mozilla products.

Please try this:
Go to advanced settings of Firefox AND Thunderbird and deactivate hardware acceleration for both, then reboot your computer. Does this fix your problem?

regards
Timo

Hi Timo

Thank for the help. Unfortunately, the problem isn’t fixed, even though I deactivated hardware acceleration in all Mozilla programs for all users, completely shut down and booted again.

Old Toby

I’ve had a chat with one of my colleagues about your problem and so far we have no bright ideas. Could you send us the output of running “winver”, which will give complete details of the version of Windows you’re running, and also tell us about the graphics card in your HP desktop? Have you tried updating the graphics drivers for the graphics card?

Yes, I have the newest versions of all drivers. Here are my data:

Desktop Computer:
Windows 10 Version 1607 (Build 14393.576)
Graphics Controller is a Intel HD Graphics 530 (Onboard)

Laptop:
Windows 7 Pro Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

I can imagine though, that it’s software-related. I will try to reinstall the laptop and see if it works on a virgin Windows without any additional software.

So, I found the culprit. It’s the OpenShot video editor (www.openshot.org). As soon as I deinstalled it, the images showed up, and that worked on both computers.

I’m glad you were able to figure this out. I guess OpenShot (whose web site I can’t visit at the moment for some reason) runs some kind of process at all times that interferes with how Qt draws to the screen.