Triggering chord sequences

Hi,
is it possible to trigger a chord sequence instead of just one chord for instance with the chord pads? Use case: I want to trigger chord sequences live with my keith mcmillen footcontroller for a guitar, bass, drums trio.

Hi,

Sorry, I don’t think, this is possible. The only one way, I could imagine, is to use Beat Designer and program your MIDI pattern (Chord progression) here. But it’s not ment to be used like this.

Hi,
You could look for a plugin called “Bluearp”, lots of information on the instrument part of the kvraudio forum. BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K) - Instruments Forum - KVR Audio

In the latest revision of the plugin, 2.16, more chord functions were added.

I think by using Groove Agent you might be able to accomplish this. You’d have to have your progressions saved as MIDI Files and then assign those to Pattern Pads in Groove Agent and, obviously, Groove Agent’s MIDI out has to be assigned to a keyboard or other pitched instrument patch suitable for your backing tracks.

In theory, your foot controller would send one note to Groove Agent and it would play back the midi pattern. You’d have to work with the “jam state” of the patterns to best fit your performance needs. Something similar might be accomplished with audio file loops assigned to GA Pads. Doing it with MIDI patterns seems easier and more flexible at least to start.

Seems like a lot of work, but it might work for you. It could be a fun way to jam with Groove Agent. Again, I have not tried this but I think it might work in some interesting ways. Cool idea.

Take care, let us know what you figured out.

This is similar to the Beat Designer solution, but… How do you send the signal to any virtual Instrument?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am quite sure you can trigger whole chord sequences by using the plugin BlueArp, revision 2.16. BlueArp is freeware. You can chain sequences and in the latest revision the ability to trigger chords was added. Youtube is your friend for finding out more on bluearp.

You can have Groove Agent’s MIDI Out routed to an Instrument Track’s MIDI Input. Then, if you have a chord track, you can set the Instrument/MIDI track to Follow the Chord Track, it won’t sound like all hell is breaking loose. Of course, individual MIDI sequences could be used rather than having the synth play the exact same patterns the drums provide.

Hi Steven,
thant sounds smart. Can you explain it in more details perhaps with some screenshots?
Sorry for my late reply.

You can have Groove Agent’s MIDI Out routed to an Instrument Track’s MIDI Input. Then, if you have a chord track, you can set the Instrument/MIDI track to Follow the Chord Track, it won’t sound like all hell is breaking loose. Of course, individual MIDI sequences could be used rather than having the synth play the exact same patterns the drums provide.

Thanks for the tip! I will now look for bluearp. Sorry for my late replay.

How can I assign MIDI Files to Pattern Pads in Groove Agent? Can you give me some more details, perhaps with screenshots. Thanks for the help.