Trills with straight line

Hello

Is it possible to replace the traditional trill sign by default with a straight line as in the example? Or maybe hide the background of the trill symbol?
Thanks

What would this look like?

If the background of the trills is hidden then only one line is needed to get the desired result as in the example.
(I hope the translation is correct).

Wouldt this Properties configuration work to eliminate the original wavy line?
trillLine

Dorico doesn’t support this kind of straight trill line – I’ve never seen this, though of course that doesn’t mean a great deal. Is this a notation of your own invention, or is it preferred by particular composers or publishers?

Derrek. Yes this setting removes the wavy line but I already default to trill without line. Then I add the lines one by one, but it is long and tedious. Especially if I have to add text on the line.

Daniel. I am a copyist and I work with a composer who uses (among other things) this kind of notation and who edits his own compositions. As he is also a composition teacher, his students tend to be inspired by this style.
If the wavy line could be replaced by a straight line by default, that would be very useful to me.

If you want something non-standard, you may have to devote extra effort to it; that has been the way for centuries. Of course you should probably charge your client extra for the additional work it entails. :smirk:

This would be actually quite easy to achieve with… wait for it… MusGlyphs.

You could make a line, with this stuff as the starting text.

I can see the tr should be a little bigger.

1 Like

It might take a bit of fiddling, but you could go into the Music Symbols Editor and replace one of the trill wiggle glyphs with a hyphen or similar.

Hi there

I accept that you probably cannot change this, but it is such a bad idea, notationally and graphically.

Being able to distinguish a trill line from any other kind of horizontal line is helpful to the player. Reducing the number of straight horizontal lines in music is also helpful (this is why ledger lines evolved to be short, rather than continuous). And there is no need for notational innovation when existing notation is semantically identical, universally understood, and easier to implement.

Composers sometimes just insist on these unhearable graphic things, unfortunately. Maybe one will read my response here and think twice about it…

cheers
Jeremy

6 Likes

If I were handwriting a score, I might find it easier to draw a straight line (with a straight-edge) than to create a wavy trill line, but that doesn’t mean a printed version should mimic it.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Dan. I will look into MusGlyphs with interest.
Leo. Thanks for the info on replacing the glyph. I’ve tried replacing the wavy line without success but I didn’t think about the glyph itself. This gives me a very good direction.

Derrek and Jérémy. As I have already said on this forum, as a copyist I am at the service of the composer and I must respect his writing as much as possible. This does not prevent discussion with the composer sometimes!
And even if you are right about the content, as a copyist it is the form that interests me and that is why the graphic possibilities of a music engraving software are important to me. I have been using Finale since 1989 and Dorico since the beginning. I edit more and more scores with Dorico and at the moment I am redoing some “difficult” Finale scores to compare my working time with Dorico.
If Dorico saves me time, then I’ll drop Finale, but for the time being this is not the case for this kind of engraving.
As an example here are some “non-standard” prints that were a real graphic challenge (Derrek, I assure you that this work was well rewarded). These are 100% Finale files and are taken from Guy Reibel’s Calliphones (in homage to Appolinaire’s Calligrammes) which were recorded in 2014 by the Musicatreize vocal ensemble.

2 Likes

Dan and Leo, thank you both. In fact, depending on the case, I use both of your methods which work perfectly.

I’m interested to know why he wants this style. Does it imply a different meaning? It is common to specify the speed of the trill with a varying ‘wave’, so my first guess is that this is a a complete straight trill – i.e. with no trill at all!