Trim automation confusion

Hi,

Trim curve confusion

I was playing around with trim curve and I see if trim is active I can set the editing points and just move it up and down.

I can also perform a pass between existing automation curve with the trim active.

So this confuses me with -touch automation mode as it also perform a pass between a existing automation

Can anyone clarify the trim curve and what its suppose to do--------isnt it similar to touch automation or editing of selection ranges on cc lanes

Thanks.

Hi,

Read the Operation Manual page 587 and 588 (Cubase Pro and Artist), please. There is very nice explanation and pictures, which make it total clear.

Basically, trim shifts already existing automation curve in the stated range. Cross-over draw a new curve, until you reach the same value, which was already written in the existing automation curve.

Hello Martin,

Thanks for commenting.

Actually did read the manual pg 291 of cubase 7, infact got every thing understood well leaving the trim. perhaps my english isnt that great so i get little skeptical.

If I not mistaken trim just makes a centered line and you have a editing point on the left ( which can be slided anywhere in the middle line ) and you can drag it up / down maintaing the actual curve in stop mode.

on a play mode when you move fader the curve moves maintaing the actual curve

Infact there’s only 2 videos on trim one by steinberg and other by obediae on youtube.

This last thing I did not see in any video ---------On playing around I did see that we can add additional editing points to the centered line but it that case as you can drag it up / down the curve gets moved in parts but than the actual curve balance is lost in parts.

Do you agree with my findings on the last one my fellow cubase users?

Thanks

Hi,

There is no another trim curve, which stays in the Automation track. The Trim curve is present only when you Write the automation, and you are in the Trim mode.

Imagine, you have a Volume automation curve from from bar 0 to bar 10, which is linear and the value is from 0 to 100. Then, you will Write the Trim curve, which is from bar 0 to bar 10, and it’s value is from 0 to 100. It means, you will get a new Volume curve from bar 0 to bar 10, which will have a values from 0 to 200.

I will re-write the same scenario this way:
1 Volume automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 0-100

• Trim automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 0-100
    = Volume automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 0-200.

Scenarion 2:

• Trim automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 100-0
    = Volume automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 50-50.

Scenario 3:

• Trim automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 50-50
    = Volume automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 50-150.

Scenario 4:

• Trim automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 0-50
    = Volume automation | Bars 0-10 | Values 0-50.

You cannot move the “Trim curve” afterwards, it’s present only during write. This is not like a VCA Channel.

I hope, it’s clean(er), now.

Hi Martin,

now its all fallen in place. crystal clear explanation. so basically the end result is the average of trim and actual automation.

But then one last question that comes to mind is the average gets applied to the entire track

but there’s no way to go back to the first actual automation Values that was there. can i revert back to the actual ?

thanks again.

The latest value of the new Trim automation curve is applied for the rest of the track. So if the latest Value of the Trim Automation is +1, then everything will be +1.

Or you can use some different modes in the Automation Panel, like Fill: Tio Punch, To Start, To End, Loop or Gaps. This will change the result.

You can use Undo, to go back. But there is no dedicated “undo” for this function only. So if you will continue in editing, then you have to Undo the whole chain of edits, you did in between.