trim automation is making me crazy

I have midi tracks with volume automation envelopes - they appear as nodes and red lines. At various points
in a track, another line appears that I can’t affect, but it moves with changes in the red line and changes
the volume messages sent. Its driving me crazy. How do I get rid of it? I assume its TRIM but I can’t find anything
helpful in the manual or past forum topics.

Yes, that is Trim (accessible from the Automation pane). When active, you see the “trim curve” that you are currently writing, and also the original automation curve, and the modifications to it that the Trim is making. In the Options menu of the Automation pane, you can set how (or rather, “when”) the Trim curve will reset to a straight line again. (When set to “Manually”, or “On leaving Trim Mode”, that allows you to “trim the trim” :wink: )

Vic, thanks for the reply. As it turns out, I had conflicts between part data imported with the midi file from
SONAR and automation tracks recorded in Cubase. The default automation setup plays the average of the two
values. I think I’ve got it fixed now. One more learning point checked off.

(yeah, but then Steinberg go and sneak another one in at the bottom of the list :smiling_imp: :smiley: )