Trim clip head to cursor shortcut in montage?

Hi - Searched the docs and the forum but can’t seem to find a quick shortcut to trim the start of a clip in the montage to the cursor position: Pretty standard editing function - just want to place the cursor somewhere in a clip and trim the start to it - also same but for clip end.

Perhaps it doesn’t exist?

thanks!
rich

No shortcut for this operation. But moving to the edge till the cursor is pretty fast.

I think what I find myself doing is splitting the clip at the selected clip(s) at the cursor which there is a shortcut for, and then manually selecting deleting the section that isn’t needed which is fairly fast to do once you get in the habit of it.

1 Like

This is a good solution, though if the clips have plugins, these are doubled during the split. Doing this doing playback with CPU hungry plugins, might cause a small hicup.

1 Like

OK, I’ve kinda been using both of those methods, though none is as fast as just plopping the cursor down and hitting a key. Anyway, good to know I’m not missing anything obvious, and thank you for your thoughts! For me, splitting and then deleting the extra region is somehow the easier one even though it shouldn’t be - less precision with the mouse required I guess…

I note the idea anyway. Maybe included in a future update.

1 Like

Blockquote
But moving to the edge till the cursor is pretty fast.

Just as a side note - this method is fast, but not if you’re zoomed in. For me, the common workflow would be I’m zoomed in to see detail, drop the cursor and use the “trim head to cursor” shortcut (in other DAWs). In the suggested workflow, you’d need to drop the cursor where you want it, zoom out so you can see the edge of the clip and then drag the edge to the cursor; kinda clumsy. That’s why the “split and delete extra region” method works better for me, though still more steps than I’d like.

Not complaining, just pointing out why it’s not an ideal workflow.

thanks!
rich

1 Like

This is a valid remark indeed.

apart from Justins way, I’ve also changed the keyboard shortcut for the montage “crop clip”, (and setup some standard zooms shortcut keys) for the smaller FX type top and tail cutting

so just the top, or just the tail, where the cursor is I’ll press s then backspace on either end I need
or I’ll select/highlight the section I need within, and press T (its my setup hotkey and where my hand regularly falls) and it’ll delete both ends, sometimes with a press of a zoom key if it doesn’t fit my window at the time (or I need to bounce between different views)

2 Likes