Trouble detecting when headphones are plugged in

I recently had my hard drive replaced and therefore re-installed Dorico clean, version 3.5.12. All is lovely and nice except for one thing. Most of the time, when I start it up, even though I have headphones plugged in, it still plays through the (awful) computer speakers. Most of the time I can go into Device Options->Device Control Panel and tick the headphones box and that fixes it. A couple of times it didn’t, but then it fixed itself when I changed the sample rate to something else and then changed it back again.

I thought for a while that if I plugged in the headphones before starting Dorico it would make a difference, but that does not seem to be the case. This is a new problem that started when I reinstalled it, I never saw it in my previous installation, which was 3.5.x where x is something less than 12 (sorry don’t remember).

Although I can work around it, I would like very much if it could be fixed more permanently so I don’t have to fiddle with it every time I start Dorico. Any ideas?

Unfortunately I’m not sure what the answer to this is (I don’t use Windows myself), but I guess there might be a setting you can change, perhaps in your audio device drivers, to prevent it from automatically activating or deactivating the headphone output when you plug in or unplug your headphones, and that might help?

Hi, could you please do Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

I do apologise for taking so long to reply. I did not see the replies until I logged on again. The problem is still ongoing, I’m just living with it.
Ulf, here is the diagnostic file, this is a case in which the headphones are plugged in but Dorico is still playing through the laptop speakers. I know from experience that if I go into device properties, I can just tick the headphones and it will switch over.

Many thanks.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (451.0 KB)

Thanks for the data. I need some further analysis on this (not only the data) and will come back soon.

So, I experience the same odd behaviour. It used to work as you expect on older type PCs. But PCs changed and now you have two virtual devices for speakers and headphones. Well, this concept has also it’s advantages, in that you could listen to YouTube via speakers and Dorico via e.g. speakers.
But all this does not match up with the current design of our Generic Low Latency Driver.
I talked with the engineer who is in charge of that driver, and actually, he wants to spend some time in the near future on improving the driver. The aim is to make it equally easy to use in that respect. I hope you can bear with us and be a bit more patient.
Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

Of course, many thanks for your careful analysis of this!