Trouble with an older Mackie MCU as a control surface on Cubase 12

I just got an older Mackie MCU I am trying to use as a control surface for Cubase 12 pro. I think I have it set up correctly in: studio setup: remote devices. All the buttons seem to communicate fine (play, rec, mute, etc…) , and when I move the faders in Cubase, the faders move on the Mackie. But when I try to move the faders on the Mackie, Cubase usually doesnt respond - and if it does, then the fader on the Mackie adjusts back to some intermediate point. I tried the Mackie using my old Sonar program and it seems to work fine… Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Which version do you have i have the MCU Pro with 2 extenders and works fine … did you setup your mackie from the controller to mackie mode… i believe by default it set to HUI… the follow the setup by adding mackie control and the inputs and outputs …also dont have any midi devices using the same channel…

Mark, Thanks for your tips! Mine is an older one before the Pro. I did set it up as a Mackie Control, not HUI… I dont have any other midi devices around and no midi channels in the DAW. Could there be some midi setting in Cubase I need to change? Or maybe do I need to send a sync code? I will mention that my MCU does not have USB - it connects through my RME Fireface. I would wonder about the RME, but the MCU works fine with Sonar… So it seems like it is a problem with Cubase. Could I remap the faders to become faders as a user setting?

Now that I think of your suggestion a bit more, it occurs to me that there is a microsoft software synth in my computer operating system. I have seen it in the list of midi devices. How can I remove it to see if it is causing problems?

Just disable it in device Manger… thinking also make sure you have your RME interface selected in the midi preferences and disable the mackie midi in and outs… i believe that will solve it im out right now but i will check… i use to have it setup through a midi interface that way…

I see there used to be a “device manager” menu in older Cubase versions, but it must have changed its name in 12. I have Studio Setup - but it doesnt let me delete the Microsoft synth… Regarding your comment about the RME midi in/out: I have to have that enabled because that is how the MCU works through midi - not usb. So my only midi ports are on the RME. They work fine with Sonar…