Trouble with Apple Magic Trackpad

Hi, congratulations for the latest version of Dorico but I have problems working in Dorico 5 with the Apple Magic Trackpad (latest generation), especially if the “tap to click” option is enabled.
Often I have to click several times instead of a single click and especially in the key editor the single click behaves as if I were always holding down.
With the Magic Mouse, on the other hand, I haven’t encountered any problems. In Dorico 4 the Magic Trackpad works fine.

I haven’t seen any problems of this sort.

What hardware do you have - Mac model, OS version, etc. ?

Mac Studio (Apple M1 Max) 32 GB Ventura 13.4

I presume you’ve restarted? And you definitely don’t have problems in any other app?

If you use the USB cable on the Trackpad, is it any different?

Yes, I have restarted, I don’t have any problem in other apps (also Dorico 4 works fine) and it is the same with the USB cable attached.

I’m not having any difficulties with my trackpad in D5, and I also use tap to click.

Are you testing a particularly large file that just happens to have sluggish response all around? Or are you seeing these issues with even small / new files? Have you tested another mouse to see if things behave differently?

It seems that disabling any MIDI input devices in Preferences fixes the problem, but still checking…

ok. this is quite telling. It sounds like you are dealing with a midi loop. Your configuration has somehow caused your midi devices to become stuck in a pattern of sending incessant midi messages back and forth which is bogging Dorico down in general. (you can verify this if the little green dot down in the bottom right corner never disappears when your midi devices are on.

It seems my MIDI keyboard is broken: always sending pitch bend messages without performing any action on it.

M-Audio - am I right?

Yes! (I have to change it)
It seems that also selecting “Filter out MIDI controllers” in Preferences/Play/Recording and restarting solves the problem. But unplugging the broken keyboard is the best way.

1 Like

The problem repeats from time to time, even though I have no external MIDI input source. It seems to me that it happens after a while that I open the program, especially on heavy projects in terms of CPU and RAM requests. It seems that the bloat is spilling over into the graphics capabilities, perhaps because I have a monitor connected via HDMI? I repeat: with Dorico 4 I had none of these problems.

Well, there are a myriad of possibilities here… the new verison of Dorico is built on a new version of Qt (the programming backend) and so it is entirely possible that something in Qt is causing the issue, rather than Dorico itself. I imagine the team will want to look at some diagnostic reports, and possibly a spin dump and/or sample of the processes on your comp when it suddenly slows down.

It could be QT: I have had other graphic glitches that I didn’t have before and when I wake up from sleep the audio engine or the windows with the right dimensions don’t always restart.

Ah: sorry I hadn’t quite understood what you meant. Yes, I have seen an issue where sometimes you have to click twice on things.

You’re right that it’s tap to click that seems affected. Actually ‘doing a click’ doesn’t have a problem.

And in the piano roll editor it’s even worse: after a click on a note the pointer becomes sticky and no longer detaches itself from the note box by carrying it around the screen.

Qt is catching mouse-down but missing mouse-up in your click.

The only other software I ever saw that did this was Sibelius (3 thru 6), also built on Qt.

I installed Dorico 5 on my old MacBook Pro late 2013 with Intel processor and Big Sur operating system latest version, and it seems that there are no such graphic problems with the QT framework.

Yes: I don’t see the problem on my M1 MBP, using it’s own internal trackpad; but I do see it on my Mac Mini, using the peripheral Magic Trackpad.

I suppose I should try the external trackpad on the MBP!

1 Like

I wanted to confirm that even with the latest version of Dorico 5.0.10 the problems of the graphical interface in the management of the pointer remain.