Troubles with playing technique lanes

I am working on the introductory bars of Debussy’s Pelléas et Mélisande to get practice with Dorico 4 but have been unable to sort out how to get the playing techniques lanes in write and play modes to reflect the PTs I have entered and, especially, the PTs I have deleted. For example, I entered the “legato” playing technique in the string instruments at the beginning of the piece but later deleted them as the phrases are slurred in any event. However, the playing technique lane continues to display “legato” in both write mode and play mode. I have read relevant portions of the manual and searched the forum but am still unable to resolve my difficulties and would appreciate any suggestions. I am using NotePerformer for sounds and have attached the zipped file.
Debussy.Pelléas.Dorico4.dorico.zip (1.2 MB)

I’ve had a quick look at e.g. the Violin 1 instrument in your project, but all the places where I see “Legato” in the playing techniques lane in the Key Editor correspond to places where slurs are written in the music, and they will indeed also produce the “Legato” playing technique automatically. Can you point out a specific spot or two where you see “Legato” that you think is left-over from a playing technique that you’ve subsequently deleted?

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel. I am feeling rather stupid right now. In the course of using the playing techniques lanes for the first time I found I could turn mutes on and off with “mute” and “mute off” but this didn’t work for “legato” and “legato off”. No matter what “legato off” PT message I gave, “legato” always showed on the two cellos and contrabasses at the very beginning. I attempted to delete the PT instruction specifically because the first phrases for those instruments are slurred anyway. However, for some reason it never occurred to me that the slurs were, in fact, also the very reason the legato PT was showing. They say you “live and learn”—I’m definitely living and hope I have learned something too!

1 Like