Trying to enter a D2/F# chord, just shows up as D/F#

I have a few slash chords in a chart that I am working on that are usually notated as, for example, D2/F# (meaning D, E, A with F# in the bass only).

While entering chord changes in the write mode, I type “D2/F#” and the result is “D/F#,” when I need it show up as D2/F#. I tried entering “D(2)/F#” and the result is “Dadd2/F#,” which is also what I do not want.

Is there a way to fix this? Or is it a feature that could possibly be added if it is not yet?

Thanks!

Dear lexinomikos,
Have you searched the forum before posting ? I remember there have been LOTS of threads about chords with a second added… I do not use that kind of marking, so I’m not 100% sure about what I’m writing here, but there’s a great chance that D2 is not something “easy” to achieve (meaning “not really implemented because it might be wrong”), so you’ll probably need to manually edit the chord to achieve what you want.
And, of course, welcome to the forum !

Write it as Dsus2, and change Chord Symbols settings to show it as D2. There is an option in that dialogue for sus2 chords.

I should add that, even after you change the way it’s displayed, you’ll still need to type it in as “sus2.”

I would very much like this requirement to be changed in the future, since I use these types of chords a lot…

I also would love to type D2. It grates writing sus2 when I don’t mean a suspension.

Right? I would love to have this as a feature, really hoping they add it someday

That works for now, thank you!

Thanks to dankreider, I can now display it as I need it to be.
Thank you!
figureditout.png

I searched the forum, yes. The chord is not wrong, just something that Dorico may not have thought of. Thanks for the input!

Me too! Thanks a million.

Hm, what is the difference between

• D2,
  • Dadd2,
  • Dsus2 and
  • Dadd9
    ?

D2 and Dsus 2 are the same, IMO.

Dsus 2 is D, E, A.
D(add2) is D, E, F#, A.
D(add9) is D, F#, A, upper E. Definitely a different sound than D(add2)!

IME and use:

D2 is the same as Dadd2
Dsus2 is D,E,A
D9 includes a C natural (N.B. not ‘add 9’ which I’ve never written)

This is fun!

My take: The difference between “sus” and “add” is, that there’s no Third in the sus chord, hence “suspended”.
Add2 and Add9 are just different inversions of the same thing.
C9 is a completely different animal, being a complete dominant7 chord with an added D in this case, C9 being shorthand for something like C7(9).
And C2 (for example) should be avoided, since it’s too ambiguous… :wink:

Getting my popcorn now…

Love,
Benji

My interpretation is the same as Dan’s: the suspension does not contain the 3rd. The “add2” and “add9” include the third. Is that what you are saying?

If you mean “Add2 and add9 are both inversions of the same notes (1,2,3,5,9, but not 7)”, then I agree with you.

I have seldom used this, but what I know is the followings:

Dsus2: D, /E/, A
Dadd2: D, [E], F#, A
Dadd9: D, F#, A, [E]
D9: D, F#, A, C, E
D7: D, F#, A, C

D2 is not so accustomed to me.

Maybe I have been wrong all along, but when I see D2 (and that is usually in pop/rock songs – think Carole King et al), I play the 3rd (1,2,3,5).

In other words, D2 is D(add2) to me. I never thought of it as a suspension. I rarely use a 1,2,5 chord. I’d be more likely to call that A/D or something like that.

I should learn this system could you recommend good learning resources?

IS the following book still the best?
The Real Book of Jazz

This is too old, I think.

I prefer to read e-books.

I haven’t seen a definitive book on the subject. There are many different systems in use and lots of contradictory nomenclature.

I assume Berklee Press has something. Jamey Aebersold often includes the basics in his play-along sets.

The attached ZIP has a PDF with several pages you might find to be a useful starting place. I have no idea where this came from. It appears to be taken from a book. It has probably been out of print for decades.
Chords.zip (1.2 MB)

I find this site quite useful. There are a ton of lessons on chord theory and chord construction.