Trying to hook up a Roland SH-201 via midi, help please!

OK, first the hardware and software details…

Cubase Artist 7.5.2
Interface - Presonus Firebox

So what I’m trying to do, is be able to program midi in cubase, send it to the SH-201, and get the audio back from it to go into another track. But I have no idea how to do this. I’m sure everything is hooked up right, because I can use it to record audio and midi, but the only thing I can’t do is have the midi “play” the 201.

What am I missing? Thanks!

Make sure the out of your midi track is routed to the midi (in) port of your KB. Also make sure midi thru is active on the track. If you want to record the KB you will of course need an additional audio track set to record with monitoring enabled, and route the KB audio out to this via your interface.

Maybe that’s my problem. Check the drop down, I don’t see the MIDI port of my keyboard. But if I add an instrument track with something like retrologue, I can use the drop down to send the midi to that track, just not the keyboard.

Still not having any luck. Do I need to tell Cubase that I’m using the Roland somehow? Because I have no option to send midi out to it.

Thanks!

Figured it out! I didn’t know about MIDI channels, changed it to 5 and everything worked. Guess if someone needs to lock this, feel free!