Tune Up Utilities

I use Arconis and I make an image at least every month. also, when I do a clean install, I create a few images, one with just windows os (with all drivers), then one with all non music programs, then a final one with everything. This is great for trouble shooting.

Is this it : -

Yes that is it. Be sure to save on an external HDD using USB 2.0. Do not use USB 3.0 for the back up Windows does not recognize 3.0 when doing a restore.

Thanks very much indeed. I had no idea about this stuff.

What SIZE is it likely to be ?? I mean, will I need a double-sided dvd disc ??

Will I be given the choice on USB 2/3 during the ‘prompts’ before executing the operation ??

Does it take a long time (ie. leave the PC on all night) ??

Cheers,

Paul

Mine is around 95 GB and it will ask you where you want the image backed up to. Mine takes around 45 minutes…

95 GB, gee that’s a lot !! So it would need to go straight to an external HD.

Does it burn the data as a Image File (ISO) ??

The size of the image is the size of OS and programs on your hard disc drive. Not sure what format the data is burned in.

Thanks again

You are welcome

Boy, I’m sure glad you’ve remembered to mention that CWS.
I just bought my second USB 3.0 1TB external drive specifically for this purpose and have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port, but I’ll just plug it into USB 2.0 instead.

Thanks for your input & help here!

Are you referring to a Port or a type of transfer here please ?? Or is it something that I select during the ‘prompts’ ?? I only just noticed this remark because of the above posting !

Thanks

The prompts ask you where you want to save it to

Ta mate.

I feel for you… This happens to me if I allow Google Chrome to install when Adobe reader updates something. I have done re formats at least 7 times in the last 7 years or so. Not counting windows upgrades. And my last reformat was last week with over 250 windows updates over the course of 24 hours.

I have had to learn way more than I would have thought about the registry than I’d ever wanted.

The image backup is much less painful despite the effort involved even when you really don’t feel like doing it.

I agree . I never allow any programs to do automatic updates, I turn them off and do them when I want to. Look at windows services and turn them off ! :slight_smile:

Many modern External Drives are USB 2/3 capable; backup restoration only works over a USB 2 interface - okay, but the actual backup creation could still be made over USB 3 could it not not?
:question:

Ta Knuckle,

Yes, the same thing happened to me a couple of times were I updated Adobe and inadvertently installed Google Chrome toolbar. Ended up having to wind back to a restore-point.

My PC is booked in for a service and software check up and if the guy tells me it needs to be re-formatted then I will just go along with it this time (the store will perform this for me under warranty). But for any future situations I will use the System Image option.

Ta,

Paul

How can you tell if you external HD is USB 2 or 3 please ??

Product Specifications! :wink:
A tech could probably tell from the plug - I know the cable is different cause my USB3 drive in a USB3 port over a USB (2) extention cable prompted a message stating that I would get better performance if I plugged the drive into a USB 3 port - :confused:

Oh, ok ta. I have three external (Seagate) HD’s and I think there are 2 x USB lead sizes between them (ie. the metal terminal which goes directly into the external HD).