It might be time to update/improve the Tuner included with Cubase. It may be that the present tuner was written for older, slower computers. Some suggestions include the following (the present tuner already has some of them):
- Alternative skins such as guitar/bass type as well as strobe.
- Better bass note handling. (always a challenge!)
- Standard tuning, eg Guitar, Bass, Violin etc.
- Microtuner for alternative music scales
- Near zero cpu overhead when turned off.
This seems like the type of job you could give to a university student looking for work experience.