tuplet one stroke tremolo

Great workaround!

Just a little additional performance hint:
Maybe it’s easier on UK/US keyboards but on my german keyboard i had to press a shift+7 to get th / glyph, and to get /// its even 4 keystrokes.

I find it easier to just enter 1 2 3 4, which represent the number of strokes you want in the Shift+R popover and a number 0 to delete the tremolo

I wonder if the team could give consideration to native functionality in this regard. Perhaps a derivation of the Repeat popover, with some modified syntax like “3-1” to indicate 3 repeated notes in the space of the written quarter. It seems this has come up a good bit, and the workaround, while quite handy, is quite a workaround.

A work around that I was looking for thanks only yesterday. This is a technique that is often required, in particular (but not exclusively) used in string section writing and certainly musical theatre and film and tv.

Hi together!
Are you really sure that in tuplet tremolos the crotchets should not be dotted? I found an example in the 1st symphony by Brahms: After two notes he leaves out the tuplet-numbers but not the dots. I find this quite clear and easy to read – and it’s much easier to input.
Ben

Considering Brahms, the above mentioned example should be notated like that:

Personally, I’m convinced the dotted version is correct. As a player I would find the notation without dots quite unclear and confusing.

hmm, I am wondering: why is this confusing?

You start a note pattern in written out notation (triplets), then after a while switch to an abrievated form of notation. As a player I do not see any doubts about what to do…

Hi - Until I found this thread, I was struggling with reproducing a violin passage in Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 21 - the first 15 measures in the second Andante movement. The urtext score shows two dotted half notes with one repeat tremolo in each of 15 alla breve measures. After several failed attempts doing stuff like using forced duration, or temporarily removing the time signature, I found and followed Marc and Leo’s suggestion here. It worked in measure 6 in my attached screenshot. It also worked when I copied and pasted it into measure 2. Then when I pasted it into measure 3 the second note was auto converted to a tie spanning measures. I don’t know why or how to successfully paste the same notes that I finally got into measure 6 into 15 measures. Is there a different approach available in Dorico Pro 3.5? Thanks.

WAM dotted half notes w tremolo in alla breve

You’ve gone wrong somewhere with your tuplet. If you select the green tuplet signpost and toggle the properties so that it shows the bracket, you’ll see that it spans a greater distance than just bar 2. Re-enter your tuplet so that each bar is a self-contained unit, then copy and paste the whole bar including the tuplet (or the tuplet’s signpost).

Thank you Leo! You are right. I’m good to go now.

1 Like

Is this still the best way to enter tuplet tremolos, like if I want a half note with one slash and a 6 indicating 6 eighths per half note?

Each half note represents 6 tuplefied eighths, therefore the halves must be dotted. It’s not really a ‘tremolo’, but an abbreviation of a regular rhythm.

Using the dot like that is mostly found in older scores; generally composers now use the duration that the figure takes up. Gould also suggests tuplet abbreviations without dot on page 215. which is here followed by a couple other examples. These were done just by adding the numerals as text, which of course won’t play back. What I hope for is a short cut to replace written out tuplets.

1 Like

So do I! Here’s what I envisioned some time ago.

1 Like