Tuplet popover; remember last used tuplet in edit mode

Small quality of life observation/request, in note select mode bringing up the tuplet popover fills it in with the previously used tuplet (or maybe its just a default - haven’t tested - but previously used is best as these patterns tend to continue). However in note entry mode when bringing up the popover it’s always blank.

Would be great if it was always filled in with the last entered text in either mode.

I’m not sure it’s the most recent tuplet, but rather a suggestion based on the context of what you’ve selected (e.g. some flavour of 3:2 if you selected 3 notes; some flavour of 5:4 if you selected 5 notes; etc).

1 Like

Ah, ok that makes sense for note entry where selected notes aren’t important like they are in select mode. Well maybe in that case if it could keep the same behavior in note select (make a sensible suggestion), and also enter the last used in note entry mode, that would be ideal I think. Like I said in note entry you tend to continue the same pattern so tossing the previous in there (fully selected) would be neat.

During note input, Dorico can’t know what you haven’t yet input. However, tuplets are sticky, so as long as you haven’t left note input or deliberately stopped the tuplet, it will continue to affect subsequent notes you input.

1 Like

Understood … I’m talking about a use case I frequently encounter

Note entry

• First time get a blank tuplet popover, enter some tuplet (e.g. 3:2) which is likely to be the predominant pattern for this note entry session
  • progress forward which usually bumps me out of tuplet mode, moving the cursor around, entering dupels, etc
  • Now time to repeat a pattern - bring up tuplet popover again - here if it could remember that 3:2 from earlier and toss it in there it was save a lot of keyboard fussing

Make sense? In note entry the first time it’s blank, but thereafter (while staying in note entry) it remembers the last used. Switching between doubles/tuples is pretty common.

If it is any help. Once the denomination of the triplet has been set, one only needs to type a 3 into the popover for a triplet, which is more convenient than setting the entire ratio. IIRC the triplet is the only tuplet with this shortcut for the ratio.

Granted, that is not as convenient as a sticky tuplet definition might be (especially for more complex tuplets), but it is a start.

1 Like

You can simply create a shortcut for any tuplet ratio if you want too, so then you can avoid the popover altogether. I use 3:2 tuplets way more than others, and I typically don’t want my hand to leave my numpad during input so I just manually added this keycommand to the kWrite context of my keycommands file.

"NoteInput.StartTupletRun?Definition=3:2" : [ "Num+1" ]

Just add that line and substitute whatever ratio and keycommand you want, then you don’t even need to use the popover for a commonly used ratio.

2 Likes

I’ve resorted to using a macro program (Keyboard Maestro) to take care of entering common tuplets while not having to alter any JSON files in the process. I’ve mapped the option key + the numbers 2-7 to create tuplets with the denominator determined by the note value selection. Very quick and easy and can be done with only one hand.

2 Likes

Stream Deck is also a fast way to create and execute any tuplet ratio.

Yeah, as I mentioned I only want to use a numpad, works on all computers and iPad, and I want to keep hands off computer keyboard.

But thats beside the point, I’m not trying to solve a problem but point out a small way which would streamline tuplets a bit more. Meanwhile Derricks is the best for me, but yeh only helps with triplets. Remembering last used avoids all this and is more consistent with other dialogs like jump.

Simple example in 6/8 adding a melody to a chord progression

The first tuplet was set up and entered, but then when using arrow keys to go past the eighth to the next quarter, which needs to be another triplet the tuple mode is lost. So here if when bringing up the tuple popover if it was pre filled with the previous setting (3:2 in this case) that would streamline note entry. This pattern continues for some time, jump past the eighth to the next quarter note, …

How about pressing Spacebar with 8th notes selected in the Notes panel, to advance the caret to the required position without ending tuplet entry, keeping the stickiness going?

1 Like

Hmm, I get this

but I want something like this

That’s the key which is alternating tuple/non tuple, so keeping it sticky won’t work.

Getting the rhythms set up is the biggest impediment to writing - for me at least. Dorico is wonderfully smart and I can pretty quickly keep a hand on the numpad to change durations, but whenever I’m alternating tuples and non it stumbles to get the tuple set up again, which is usually a continuation.

Think Beethoven … oh I played it a long time ago, which symphony was that? lol … wrong key but here’s my 2 second hack

As it stands (which is what I’m mostly focussing on, rather than any feature requests) you have some options that might make it more streamlined – the most obvious ones that spring to mind are:

• Input notes in 2 passes: all the triplets, skipping out in-between non-triplet notes ; then go back and add in all the in-between notes

• Input notes with their base durations, all non-tuplets ; go round afterwards with Insert mode active, and tupletify the notes that need to be tuplets

2 Likes

Great ideas, thanks Lillie. Yeah those would work transcribing, but I most work from inside the music, finding my way forward. It breaks my flow state to get out of note entry, I think of it from a performers perspective and can’t go forward until I get this bit just right. When it turns into more transcription-like it’s a computer problem :grin:

No worries, there’s plenty of great ways to enter tuplets in Dorico. As I’ve said before Dorico is feature complete as far as I’m concerned, I’m just bringing up little bits and bobs that would streamline some workflows, for what it’s worth. You folks certainly get enough feature requests.

2 Likes

Fifth in c minor, third movement (actually in ¾). I also played it recently.

1 Like