tuplet tremolo

Hi, working on one project, where tuplets will be written as tremolo. Is there such combination in Dorico possible? Of course I can write tremolo just on a quarter note and add each time “3” as an italic text, any way as Dorico pretend to be very complex and comprehensive program, would be great if a team would consider adding such kind of tremolo and tuplet “marriage” in a future as well:)

1 Like

Here’s my rendition of it in Dorico, but I admit this was too much tweaking for such a result, and it won’t play correctly, since I had to write a quarter instead of a dotted quarter and remove rests… Still, it looks as you wish !
The tweaking is just for the first element, the others were just replicated (r) and pitched afterwards.

Here’s the receipe : input a triplet of 8th notes. Change the first into a quarter note, and in the right panel, change it into a 8ths tremolo. Select the rest, remove it (edit menu). In Properties panel, choose not to show the bracket of the tuplet, and move the 3 with X and Y values, in order to have it right above the note as you wish. Select the whole thing and replicate !

1 Like

Thank you Marc, not a question - this is for sure possible to “draw” in Dorico. There is more a question/idea about a full future implementation: easy setup, right playback etc. Not a highest priority, but would be a great feature:)

I’d like to pitch in this topic so the team looks at this at some point in the future. It would be indeed helpful (and in-line with the philosophy as I understand it) if Dorico would properly handle tremolo abbreviations: not only with tuplets but also articulations such as the two, three or four staccato dots that often appear in measured tremolos.

I am sure that they will attend to this at some point. After all, it is implemented in Sibelius.

David

just to state the obvious, the notation in the example above is incorrect.

2 triplet eight notes = 1 triplet quarter note
3 triplet eight notes = 1 triplet dotted quarter note

so, assuming you want each note to be divided into three 8-note triplets, these should be dotted quarter notes with 3 above.

4 dotted quarters would make 12/8 instead of 4/4 (or 8/8). Be sure - it is correct.

it’s not 4 dotted quarters, it’s 4 triplet dotted quarters, which is 4/4.

1 triplet dotted quarter = 1 quarter

There are examples using either types of notations. However, the notation in the example cited above is less common, and the “dotted” version is generally preferred. One would not accuse Bizet, in the following example, of not knowing how to count!

sometimes “less common” is a polite way of saying “incorrect”,
and sometimes “incorrect” becomes a common practice :wink:

I’m Canadian, politeness is in my DNA.

I found this thread while searching for a solution to something similar, so I’m hoping that we’ll see this implemented in the near future. The attached example is from MacDowell’s “Indian Suite.” We’re in 4/4 time here, and the violins have triplet and sextuplet repeated notes, notated with tremolo notation, using dotted quarter and dotted half notes. The only way to get this to play correctly is to input it as individual notes and not tremolos. It would be really cool to be able to input this as written and have it play back as intended.

In the meantime, I’m really loving Dorico Pro 2. Keep up the good work!

Hi Happy Dorico users!

I’m (now in 2023_Dorico4) trying to mark the same thing:
a tremolo with a tuplet marking above.
I manage to type the intention with a “3:2” marking (photo#1), but what I’m looking for is to write a “6” above my note to mark the intended 6 notes to be played and also in order to match the music I’m copying (photo#2).
If anyone out there knows something about this it would be just great!!!

Thanks a lot for your input(s)
Xavier
photo #1
photo #2

You want 6 eighth notes in the space of 4, so 6:4e in Dorico. (I’m guessing you did 3:2q instead.) Get one of them the way you want it, then repeat it and repitch.

Unfortunately playback is still incorrect.

A really useful trick here is to create a duplicate player/instrument for playback purposes only (change its name to something like “Vln 1 Plbk” to keep Dorico from messing up the instrument numbering). Write out all of the tuplets in that instrument so that it plays back correctly, and mute (suppress playback) of the notes with slashed stems in the actual instrument so that they don’t play back. Use Manual Staff Visibility to hide the staff of the duplicate “playback” instrument. You can enter the notes for both the normal and playback instruments in Galley View, and the playback instrument will not appear in Page View.

It’s a bit of work but the nice thing about it is that since the “playback” instrument staff is hidden, all of those written-out tuplets don’t affect the note spacing of the other instruments in Page View. (Obviously they will affect note spacing in Galley View, but that’s of no consequence to the finished score.) Until such time as the Dorico team implements proper playback of tuplet tremolos, this is next best way to deal with it IMO.

3 Likes

It would be nice if we would not call these notations ‘tremolo’ anymore. They’re abbreviations for groups of regular notes. Nothing to do with trembling.

3 Likes

I agree, but the term seems to be too well-established in English to replace it now.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers guys!
Love Dorico & love this Forum :wink: