Tuplets drive me crazy

Everytime I’m using the tuplet tool it drive me crazy. Setting TUPLET on is ; setting TUPLET off is shft-; . All other tools are on / off with the same button.

Also when I press the ; I have to select the correct note-value first, then ; and then pressing the number. It feels so inconvenient.

I suppose it depends on how and in what order you think about a tuplet while you are making it.
If you said or thought to yourself as an example:

This note value…press quarter note key
Will be my tuplet…; key
Of this type…3 key

Then the order of operations makes better sense.

Of course if it’s not the way you are used to thinking about it, it won’t be what you’d like.
Personally, I just try to make the way Dorico works seem logical by modifying my usual thinking if necessary. That is if Dorico and I are going to be permanent partners.

All other tools are on / off with the same button.

Slurs begin with S and end with Shift-S. This is so they can be nested, and the same logic applies to tuplets I think.

If tuplets had a single key to toggle them on/off, how would you create nested tuplets, except by back-tracking to create the “inner” tuplet?

As Ian said the same applies to slurs.

There could in theory be a simple-tuplet action that behaves in this simpler manner, alongside the normal tuplet commands. I would applaud such UX.

Nested tuplets… that’s the reason. For me, arranging and notating for amateurs in concert-, marching- and big band, the notation of simple-tuplets is the most frequent action I do. It would be simpler when I press the ; for the tuplet beginning and ; for the tuplet endig. Each ‘new’ nested tuplet can be activated using the shft-; .

There’s an old (ish) saying about how to design: make the simple things easy, and the difficult things possible.

There’s no doubt that nested slurs and tuplets are much less common than normal slurs and tuplets, so I do think Dorico breaks the adage in this case.

Having said that, now I’ve got used to it it doesn’t bother me much any more.

Try this when in note entering mode:
Choose your note value
Click the tuplet button in the left bar with the mouse
Click the tuplet button again
Enter your notes.

This gives a single triplet (without entering 3), the tuplet button is a toggle, and you only move your hand to the mouse once.

For continuing triplets enter your notes before clicking the tuplet button the second time.