Turn off "write to Cache " on Win 10

Someone on youtube is showing an optimization video for Cubase where they are saying tick the Policy box for disable "Write to cache " ?
Im not exactly sure about this , will this cause you to loose all data on the main SSd drive if power fails ?

Cheers

I would be very careful with ‘tweaks’ for Windows 10. From what I can tell pretty much the only thing that either gets rid of problems or improves performance is adjusting the power plans and possibly disabling things like WiFi or other services that might get in the way. But basic functions of the OS should be fine. Messing with them without knowing fully what they do can invite problems down the road when the OS updates…

…in my opinion…

Hi Mat
ive always customized my power plan and stopped things not needed running in the background as is a pure Steinberg Daw , im just intrigued about this one box , im hearing mixed reports about helping your processor concentrate more on the audio tasks

On or off – it depends.
I’d do a LOT of digging on this one.

It’s the part about loosing your drive if the power goes that scares me lol

If you currently don’t have any performance problems with your system I see absolutely no reason at all to mess around with this.

1 Like

Im inquisitive and i would love to know

I really wouldn’t bother. I wonder if this is something that was done in the past as I really can’t see this helping in anyway

Isn’t it a write to disk function that happens at the same time as all the other processes so potentially could slow your computer down or cause glitches ?

A bunch of things could potentially cause a problem. But if you don’t have a problem don’t mess with it.

disableing the write caching is not useful on SSD, since this is handled from the SSD controller and the operating system together

on hard disks it writes everything instantly to disk with the momentary available speed
so this could slow down write operations

but if the system fails it looses the content of the cache and therefore you can loose data with write cache enabled, but normally this is no problem
if the system fails during recording your session is lost anyway :slight_smile:

Ok , thanks , im trying to find the link again where one win 10 user says the performance by disabling the cache increases by about 10% and also programs seem to be weightless and less sluggish … Im too much of a coward to risk this on my system , im just asking for research :wink:

+1. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, it’s this.

Mr Soundman
Are my eyes deceiving me , have you changed you Gif for the first time in 15 years lol ?

Yes, because animated GIFs are not allowed I could not annoy people any longer :smiling_imp:
I’ve now got a picture of the 5¼" floppy disk my first sequencer came on.

But back on topic, the writeback cache is there to improve OS disk performance. I recommend you don’t mess with it. That article might be from the same era as my avatar.

I also saw a YouTube video recommending rubbing WD40 into scratched paintwork … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Nope , it’s staying firmly on unless anyone can show any hard evidence that it works , it just goes to show even in the FB cubase community people still recommend false and dangerous information for tweaking the DAW

I have done the usual tweaks to Windows for DAW use over the years – mostly power managment schemes and checking USB settings. All the DAW providers have a webpage telling you how to tweak Windows in some way for audio work – and most of the information overlaps. I didn’t know turning off write cache was a thing. I thought you would want that enabled.

Cheers,
Canaan