Turn

Hi

Is how can I put a sharp/flat above or below a turn articulation
I need this in baroque music

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

You can create a custom playing technique.

You can also use staff text (Shift-X) to add the glyph directly. For that, you’ll want to find the list of SMuFL glyphs online, and copy-paste the ones you want.

I’ve used AutoHotKey to create a macro for adding sharps, flats, and naturals.

Many thank’s

It works fine. Is a little bit tricky to copy the glyphs.

Is there a way to build new “turn” signs with flats / sharps?
It would be easier to put them into a score

Patrick

Sure, that’s what a custom playing technique would allow you to do. Quite easily.

Can you help me with that?

I posted a link in my first comment.

ok

I will have a look

Many thank’s to you

Happy to help. If you have more questions after watching the video, feel free to ask here.

You don’t need to create a playing technique for this. Add the turn symbol from the ornaments panel, open the Properties panel at the bottom of the screen, and set the “interval above” and “interval below” properties to get the accidentals you want.

Doh! That’s two whiffs in as many days. Thanks Rob. And sorry for the rabbit trail, Patrick. Maybe I should take a break and read the manual…

I think this snuck into version 2.2.10 - I don’t remember noticing it before. I can’t find it anywhere in the Version History PDFs.

Maybe it’s actually “a bug” that it got into 2.2.10 by mistake :slight_smile:

I dunno, but this: Changing the intervals of ornaments

And AFIAK, the online documentation isn’t complete, so it likely wouldn’t include the most recent changes.

Leo with the version history link in 3… 2… 1… :laughing:

I often find I give bad advice because the speed with which features are added quickly begins to outpace the speed at which I learn and retain them, especially often after having used a workaround for a given feature. I think my brain figures something like “Well, version X.X made this many workarounds obsolete; surely the one I’m about to recommend is still necessary…”

Gets me every time.

Thank’s to you all

Sorry, I was asleep! Pages 32-36 are helpful but don’t tell the full story, so I’m thinking that Rob’s hunch might be correct. http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Dorico_Pro_2_and_Dorico_Elements_2/2.2.10/Dorico_2.2.10_Version_History.pdf

I still have 1.2.10 on my laptop and the interval below/above feature is available there … :astonished:

I agree something similar has been there for trills for a long time, as a stop-gap way to create accidentals before there was trill playback and before there was any interaction between trill accidentals, key signatures, other accidentals in the score, etc.

I don’t remember seeing it for other ornaments until recently, though - but that might be simply because I never needed it myself until recently.

It’s been there for a while — I did not write anything here because “turn” does not mean much to me, we call it “grupetto” in France.

However,the “interval” can only be understood as a kind of code for the accidental: 1 - flat, 2 - natural, 3 - sharp. Try a mordent or a different key signature: you will see strange results.