Two-lined stave

Hi!

I’m attempting to create a stave for my conga part, and I would like to make it a two-lined stave. Is this possible? I can’t seem to find any options under any staff or stave tab to do this. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.52.58 PM

There’s a specific “Congas” instrument for this. The name won’t be right by default, but - in haste - here’s how to correct them (though the pt value should clearly be greater than 3.5; I’ve done a poor job).

Still not understanding how you were able to get the two-lined stave…whenever I go to the congas instrument you searched, it’s still a 5-line stave. I can still edit the kit and such like you did, but getting the stave to look like that is still confusing me… apologies!

Search the instrument picker for Congas - with the “s” on the end. That instrument represents as a two line stave (or rather grid) by default, I believe.

If it doesn’t, you can fix that in Layout Options > Players > Percussion once you’ve added the instrument.

Ah! I was doing something wrong on my end, I see it populating that way now. Thank you!

I guess I have a follow-up then. When writing in a 5-line stave, is there a way I could switch that stave into a 2-line stave at a certain point? As in when maybe switching from marimba to congas?

Yes, but not in the way you’re envisaging.
Give a single player a Congas instrument (which is actually a Percussion Kit). Give the same player a Marimba instrument.

Write the music in Galley View, where all three staves will show. When you switch to Page View then (unless you’ve poked around in Layout Options and disabled Instrument Changes) you’ll see that Dorico’s figured out the instrument changes for you.