Two Machine Licensing

I don’t check very often but would appreciate knowing if and when I can buy one copy of Dorico for use on either my studio desktop or laptop. I don’t need simultaneous use but I do go on the road to film festivals and the like and need to score outside the studio. By the way, I do have one piece of software that needs to ‘renew it’s license’ every four or so times which really get’s inconvenient on planes or when I go on retreats with no wifi/internet availability. So for the airport scenario, I am forced to start the software in the terminal and then put the laptop into hibernate mode. Rather inconvenient.

And by the way, I am doing this from memory but I believe Avid allows two registrations of a single copy. You do it with software. In fact, as I remember, it is the only software I need to ‘unregister’ a device (other than Apple’s iItunes) if I can to reload windows on my machine from scratch or a backup.

Joel, for use on multiple machines, you need a USB-based licenser. This is standard procedure for Steinberg products. A software-based e-license allows for use on only one machine. Neither option requires renewal, so no need for internet connectivity.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Either you use a USB license dongle, or you purchase a second license.

The licensing option is expected to change in the near future, though exact timing is not set in stone, as Daniel posted just above this. We’re all looking forward to that day.

excited tingles

Fwiw, you don’t need to have access to the internet to start up Dorico with a dongle. I’ve moved my soft licensed to the dongle and now can use Dorico on any computer I have it installed on, 2 at the moment. I have 4 or 5 different dongles (iLok generation 2, iLok generation 3, several spare iLok gen 1, Waves, Steinberg), haven’t lost a dongle yet. Knock on wood.

It’s also not as huge as, say, the 1st generation iLok. Just make sure to always keep it in the same spot when it’s not in your USB port.

It’s one of those things to check before leaving the house:

• wallet
  • house keys
  • car keys
  • cell phone (is it fully loaded?)
  • office security card
  • BART card
  • am I fully dressed, including trousers, shoes etc.
  • USB-C dongle…