TXL TimeCode - Low register too low?

Hi,

TXL Timecode works very well with Dorico. For a current project I have 15 flows connected to a big logic session allowing me to maintain scores between real audio and Dorico. Each flow runs with the audio and the all 15 flows are linked (one after another). Great and a nice way to create mockup.

As it is for a big orchestra but for contemporary music, I want to make separate parts different for strings and horns (for which each flow it is a long development) and the rhythmic (for which a flow is is a long suite of the same patterns). I want the drums part to be containing only sections with the pattern with repeat signs, same for bass, guitars… I wanted therefore for two different flows (sketching the same tune) to have the same stating time code. Then I would have the same development but with a different structure and engraving… Two different flows for the same tune thus, but the two up todate with the audio changing…

TXLTimecode tells that we can change the starting hour minute and second in real time. There is a midi chart telling we must specify this :

• C-2 < 60 Starting second = [velocity], >= 60 Starting second = 0
  • C#-2 < 60 Starting minute = [velocity], * >= 60 Starting minute = 0
  • D-2 < 24 Starting hour = [velocity], >= 24 Starting hour. = 0

I chose a player connected to TXL Timecode plugin to send the notes but I can not make it work.
I guess D-2 means real D-2 and not D2 (D2 does not work) but I can’t enter D-2 as the limit is C-1…

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

VinCenT

If I understand what you are saying, you would first be stuck at “Dorico doesn’t play two flows at once”. Not judging (or speaking for the dev team) but I would be surprised if that were a feature we’d ever see.

It is much more standard (if that is the right word) that a single flow has multiple parts that play simultaneously.

IMO, using bar repeat regions in a given part would be preferable for the kind of drum and bass parts you mention. Takes only a couple of seconds, so I personally wouldn’t see it as any extra work, though you are welcome to disagree. Creating those regions in one part don’t affect the display of anything else in another part… You can certainly engrave parts differently.

Thanks for your interest gdball.

First I do not want Dorico to play two flows at the same time. Of course. :slight_smile: Let me explain more precisely. I have flow 1 (strings and horns) with starting with time code 00:20:01 for example and flow2 (rythmic) with starting time code 00:20:01 too. I just want to be able to force Logic ( for these two flows ) to start audio at 00:20:01. Am I clearer ? :slight_smile: TXL timecode offers that possibility but I do not find the right way to do this. I guess because D-2 does not exist on Dorico… Am I wrong ?

As You mention it would be nice for a same flow to express music differently according to an instrument. But I do not see how. If I put a single repeat marker for drums then I got it for all strings and horns… and that’s not what I am looking for. I want repeat markers for drums but not for strings (as strings play a long development over a straightforward drums). Maybe I miss something… I am very interested in knowing how to do this in the same flow…

I know I can extract drums part and engrave it separately but I am a bit fed with this. As I update the score I have to do it in another file reconnected. I want all in the same file.

Any idea ?

Thanks.

VinCenT

That sounds like looping, which Dorico cannot do–yet.

I’m sorry for the miscommunication. I meant something like:

So just as an example I told Dorico to repeat the first two bars of this part as a repeat region (not using ||: and :|| repeat markers). The exported snippet doesn’t show it, but in Dorico that Region is highlighted in light blue for that part, and I can drag the handles for that region to make it repeat that 2 bar phrase however many times I want in a similar way as you can do in most DAW’s I think. (Logic is one DAW I haven’t used.)

It doesn’t affect any other part as you aren’t actually changing the structure of the piece, and makes it a lot easier for a live player to start from “C” or measure 32 or whatever in rehearsal, put in some cues, some automation, etc. Or to synchronize any edits across parts. JMO.

Yes You are right. I already use this but, it is really convenient from a composer point of view. It is a bit tedious for a drummer to follow endless lines of %2 or %4 when there is just few patterns to play. Of course as soon as rythm marks must be played it is useful but in my case, that’s mostly one pattern during 32 bars then another pattern for 16 bars then rythm slashes for three bars then another 16 bars of first pattern… I would like to make some kind of part a drummer would do by hands… but almost automatically. It would be very useful.

For a long time with score editors I have been dreaming of a way to express bars differently according to instruments. That would be wonderful to tell for a drum this is 8 repeats of two bars and then for a trumpet it is a theme of 16 bars. Virtually, repeats could be an abstraction of a landscape score. Of course we’ll share cues, rehearsal marks… as soon as we would have the same number of bars but expressed differently. When I have seen how Dorico manage to work with poly metrics, I guess this is a thing they could do. :slight_smile: Thank You gdball and Derek for your answers.

But my first question was about Dorico and his “D-2” and TXL Timecode… any guess ?

My guess isn’t very helpful I’m afraid. :slight_smile:

In my own experience with TXL (though my first response was elation) I was not able to get it to work effectively and reliably with my own setup when it came to the details in exactly things like this. (Offsets, and video, and recording, scrubbing…) It DOES work, but the devil in them made it more time consuming than it was worth to me and not my choice.

Ok. It took me some time to make it work but as soon as it began to work it was really easy and quite light. A few artefacts (pitch from time to time goes down and up but comes back ok) when the computer is a bit busy but nothing to claim. Do not hesitate if I can help You on that subject. Thanks for your guess.

Hello,

A little question with Dorico combined to TXL Timecode and for myself LogicPro.

Has someone ever managed to send TXL a new timecode in real time thanks to the midi chart here ?

Midi-chart.pdf (143.6 KB)

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to this question (maybe @Brian_Roland does), but I’ve taken the liberty of moving your new post to your existing thread on this topic.

Hello Daniel. Maybe You can still help me. Is it possible to Dorico to send a “D-2” to a VST plugin (here TXL Timecode) ?

I do not have this plugin, but have you tried sending the D-2 to the plugin? What makes you think it would not work?

Oh, I understand your confusion now. Dorico considers middle C to be C4 unlike most DAW’s which consider middle C to be C3. The note you want is called D-1 in Dorico. It is the same note that would be labeled D-2 in most DAW’s - since middle C is off by one octave, everything else is too.

In software that considers middle C to be C4, there is no such thing as D-2, it is below the lowest possible MIDI note.

Ok. Then I have tried… I sure have tried all Ds a piano can do. :slight_smile:
Thank You for this I didn’t know all that.
I will try to contact TXL Timecode software troubleshooting team to see what I am doing wrong…

Keep in mind that the note you want is below the lowest note on a regular 88 note piano keyboard. You might already understand this but I wanted to clarify just in case.

Do you have the latest TXL version 2.1.1?

Jesper

Update.
"We have updated our Timecode Plug-In on macOS to version 2.1.1. Now Dorico 4.3 is in perfect sync again. "

Jesper

1 Like

If you consider middle C, MIDI note 60, to be C3, then D-2 would be MIDI note 2, I think. Dorico thinks of middle C as C4, though, so MIDI note 2 would be D-1 in Dorico.

Ok. With the update and the right “D-2” there is more life in it ! Thanks Daniel, Jesele ans mducharme.

Therefore I can have two different flows in the same project, pointing to the same timecode in Logic.
Getting closer to what I wanted to do… :slight_smile:

Thank You !