(UI) More efficient left zone

I like to be able to have access to inserts, sends, etc from the left panel but I don’t like having to scroll all the time (middle mouse wheel scroll doesn’t work if cursor is pointing at an insert). I know you can middle mouse wheel click but I’m not a fan.
Was hoping for this in Cubase 10. Seems a good idea to me. There are more variations possible that I haven’t shown (like an empty slot in between two effects).
The image explains my idea best:

Basically you have the ability to add or remove slots for inserts, sends, etc. Rather than the screen being taken up by lots of empty slots.

YES, this has been needed for quite some time!

These 5 things are used more than anything else on a regular basis:

Volume fader
Inserts
Sends
Pre-gain
Direct output
Edit instrument

Because producers are constantly adjusting these 5 things, it would make sense for them to be shown in the inspector column without having to scroll up and down to see them all. I do understand that “edit channel settings” neatly shows all 5 of these, however, it is less convenient because the channel settings window is always getting in the way, covering up the arrange window, and covering up instrument windows. Constantly scrolling through the inspector window is slow to scroll, doesn’t scroll unless the cursor is in just the right spot, and makes for difficult navigation.

Right now, if I choose to show only those 5 things in the inspector column and hide/minimize everything else, I am only able to see the inserts and half the sends before I need to start scrolling up and down to see everything else. This makes the UI difficult.

IDEAS:

1. Make the sends smaller in height to make room (the same height as the inserts would work well). Now we would see all inserts AND all sends
  2. Since volume is always being adjusted, pull the small horizontal volume fader out from underneath the inspector track name, and insert at the top
  3. Add a pre-gain fader just below the volume fader
  4. Edit instrument button via inspector is already available and can be minimized to only one column to save space, so that is already perfect
  5. The direct output/routing name should be shown above the volume faders, which can jump to the output track when command+clicked
  6. Make the inspector column width adjustable so that the insert names are not cut off so short

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate all you guys do. Hopefully maybe one day all this will be possible : )

+1

Wow that would be so useful !!!

Big +1

Man yes u guys come up with such great ideas in this section, wish steinberg listened

+1
This is a great Idea, if it id also connected to the lower zone mix console so a marker track i the mixer shows its senes , insert and even the rack (small version) the page sextionde would not be needed and it would make a huge difference in workflow

+1000…! Oh yes, this is good… :slight_smile:

(Plus - agreed with other posts about generally awkward scrolling/navigation experience in the Inspector; sorry, ‘Left-Zone’. I’m showing my age…)

Hm yeah it might be nice to have like 2-3 of those tabs expanded at a time. Also, it might be cool if we could re-arrange their order because I only really use like Track Versions, MIDI modifiers, and Audio inserts there regularly. The other ones I either never use or use once in a blue moon. (I’d use the notepad more if it was more expandable/detachable… please make better notepad options steinberg!!)

YES PLEASE let us WIDEN the left Zone!!! It cuts off the names of my tracks, and the type is too big. Please make it more legible (e.g. Pro Tools) where it all can be seen in a glance without the text looking to crowded for the width.

1 Like

+1

+1
Inspector should populate the inserts and sends as added. It is also bugging the constant change to the faders placement depending on which other parts are open. You can not just build a muscle memory when you want go to the inspector fader. It is either closed, not visible or higher, lower etc.

+1 !!

+OneMillion…

or something like this

1 Like

I agree!

And volume and pan need to be in the track headers like every other DAW has (and Cubase used to have many years ago). This enables you to adjust volume and pan immediately on any track without needing to click first and then go the Inspector. Preferably other things like input and output and more would be able to be enabled in the track headers, but volume and pan would be a great start that would help everybody move a huge amount faster because it’s just one click and hold/adjust on any track (or multiple selected tracks) vs. first click on track to select it, then move over the inspector, then click and hold/adjust there. There’s no comparison for speed and efficiency, and I’m always surprised that more people don’t know about how much faster it would be than using the inspector for those specific things.

I totally agree. Some basic options are quite hidden (like the volume and the panorama, which is nuts) and you can’t have several ¿tabs? opened at the same time. You should be able to do so, however a better distribution of the left pannel would be… better.