Unable to control Cubase Elements 12 Mixer with any Midi Control Surface

I am unable to control any aspect of the cubase mixer (F3) with a control surface.

Cubase Elements 12.0.7.0
Windows 11 23H2 22631.3235
Akai MidiMix Controller
Akai LPK25 Keyboard Controller
Akai MPD218 Drumpad Controller
Connected by 4 port USB-C Hub

1. Build the midi remotes for the above Akai products
  2. Right Click to “Pick for Midi Remote Mapping: Volume” on Stereo In channel strip
  3. Move Slider #1 on MidiMix
  4. Click Apply Mapping
  5. Slider responds in Midi Mapping Assistant and Midi Remote but does not impact Volume Fader on channel strip or nor does any other control assigned to any other Mixer function.

These Midi remotes work fine with any VST I own and I can “Learn CC”. MidiOx tells me it’s transmitting data on the right channel. There just seems to be a disconnect between all Midi Remotes and the Cubase Mixer. If I’ve ticked a setting to cause this, I’ve no idea where to find it. I will happily murder the configuration and start over but I don’t think that’s the problem. I recently moved these midi remotes to the current machine from a machine where they worked just fine with the mixer and the same cubase version. I’ve set all prefereences to their defaults. I don’t know what else to do.

i went back to the working machine this morning and it is no longer working as well. what’s going on? is surface support for the mixer being withdrawn for Elements users or something?

and suddenly it starts working again. I downgraded to 12.0.60 and12.0.50 to no avail. I re-updated to 12.0.70 and it still didn’t work for about half an hour. I started re-assigning controls to my devices and it still didn’t work. I hit the spacebar and on the way back to my keyboard I bumped the MidiMix #1 slider control and it’s suddenly working. I tried 3 other devices to no effect. The only thing I did between updating and this is clicking random settings wheels and closing them looking for an answer. something is not right with this. when it fails again, and I imagine it will, I’m gonna be a little hot about it. fair warning. I spent 20 hours I’m not going to get back trying to fix this. I’m pissed.