Unable to edit Played Duration

To create a second ending (below), I copied the notes of the first ending and pasted them into the second ending. I then shortened their time values as shown. (The ‘ties’ to the notes in the middle staff, 2nd ending, were created using “laissez vibrer”.):

However, the lowest note (A natural, lowest staff) plays back as a whole note, . . . and this is shown in the “played durations” feature in Play Mode:

I’ve tried everything to shorten that played duration, and even deleted it in both Play and Write modes, but the note won’t shorten or stop playing (even when deleted). (I also saved, closed, and re-opened the project, with no effect.)

Thanks, in advance, for any advice on how to correct this!

If you select that note and choose Play > Reset Playback Overrides, does that help?

Thanks, Daniel. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have any effect.
It isn’t an especially important file, so I’m hoping this was just a one-off.

Can you attach the project itself, then?

Certainly – here it is:
Wave ending.dorico (1.6 MB)

. . . it’s the very last – and the lowest – note on the page (an 8th-note A2).

Thanks!

Right, sorry, I should have picked up on this earlier. The issue is because you end up with a single note in both the first and second ending; one you edit its duration, Dorico can’t tell them apart because it has to adjust the length of the final note in bar 9, i.e. the onset that is tied into bar 10 for the first ending and, effectively, into bar 11 for the second ending. The note in bar 9 is the one that ends up being played, and it can’t have two different durations based on whether you’re in the first or second ending. So there isn’t a good way (or indeed any way that I can think of, at any rate) to edit the playback duration of that note such that it will only affect one repetition.

Hmm . . . in the score, it’s the last note in bar 7, not bar 9, that’s tied to the second ending, so I don’t understand the connection between the last note in bar 9 and that first note in bar 11 (ie, the second ending). (Also, the last note in bar 9 – that continues into bar 10 – is an Ab, whereas the last bar of bar 7 – that continues into bar 11 – is an A natural.) Doesn’t Dorico skip the first ending when it comes upon it during the repeat?

If the issue really is about the fact that the last note of bar 7 connects both to a single note at the beginning of the first ending (bar 8) and to the same pitch, again a single note, at the beginning of the second ending (bar 11), what about the fact that the note in bar 11 isn’t actually tied (it’s a manipulated laissez vibrer) – from what I’ve read, something that isn’t yet within Dorico’s capability – but is actually played as a new, separate note?

I guess the most relevant question, for me, is how to make a similar passage work, in the future. It isn’t that uncommon for a second ending to consist of a tied version of the previous bar’s last note.

Was the problem that I had copied and then edited the duration of that note, rather than simply enter it afresh?

You can ‘fix’ it by including bar 7 in the 1st time ending and copying bar 7 into the 2nd time ending. This will avoid any ‘ties’ hanging over into the different endings.

Slightly inelegant I know, but if playback it so important…?

Thanks, Janus.

1 Like