Unable to play midi recorded tracks from Yamaha MODX on iPad Air Gen 4 after disconnect from MODX

I recorded a midi track from my Yamaha MODX8 and can play it back fine through my MIDI interface/monitor while still connected to the keyboard. Once I unplug it from the keyboard I cannot play it on the iPad and hear it.

Hi @Dan_Gowens,

Thanks for your message and a warm welcome to the Cubasis forum!!

Our good friend Dom Sigalas created two dedicated clips, that explain how to make great use of Cubasis and the Yamaha MODX, which you will find below.

Hope that helps!

Stay safe
& enjoy being creative,
Lars

Easy-peasy MIDI recording -MODX/MONTAGE with CUBASIS | Dom Sigalas

How I SEQUENCE and RECORD my MODX as AUDIO- Yamaha MODX/MONTAGE with Cubasis | Dom Sigalas

1 Like

Here’s the problem with the new update. you can’t record the midi and then later turn it in to audio. You could before… I used to be able to record midi in Modx like Dom is showing and then with the Modx still hooked up create a audio track and hit record and play the midi track and I would get the audio on an audio track, good for when I want to take anything our of Cubasis and put it into my desktop daw. Well now with the latest update you can’t do that? I’m trying to find out what the problem is? if Cubasis just dropped that option or if it’s something that’s not working?

Well If I can figure out how to post a video. Watch this video on youtube by The Sound Test Room: Cubasis 3.2 Tutorial - How To Record & Playback MIDI & Audio For Your Hardware Synths. It shows how the old Cubasis 3 used to work before the update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBs2qwrLsI&list=WL&index=2

This video of Dom recording audio is no good in Cubasis 3.5. Does not work any more… If someone can show me how to get it to record audio in ios 16 it would be much appreciated.

Hi @bill28540,

We are unaware about any issues in this direction.

When installing Cubasis, a popup appears asking your permission to use the microphone.
Please check the steps below, making sure the permission is granted.

If the problem persists, please share a short clip with us, which shows the steps and issue.
In this regard, please also check this “Cubasis Audio Routing” tutorial.

Thanks,
Lars

Starting Cubasis the very first time, a popup asking your permission to use the microphone appears, which has to be accepted. If you tapped “no” by accident, please change the setting manually as follws:

• Please go to the iPad settings
  • There please go to Privacy / Microphone
  • Please make sure to enable Microphone use with Cubasis.
1 Like

That is very possible I turned off the microphone. I did not realize that would have anything to do with recording external hardware. I will that a try. That will be if that works! I can get back to making music. I appreciate you checking that out.

1 Like

Hi @bill28540,

Thanks for your reply.

Please give it a try, and keep us updated.
Also you might check out the short audio routing tutorial mentioned above.

Thanks
Lars

Yes Lars, I just check and my microphone was off. I turned it back on and set up the recording of my external hardware, and wouldn’t you known it everything works fine. I apologize for taking up your company’s time for checking this out because of my stupidity. And here I am thinking something went wrong with the 3.5 update and getting upset with Cubasis. I’m just glad I can get back to using it. That’s mainly what I use Cubasis for is a sequencer for my hardware. Thanks for getting my back up and running Sir.

Hi @bill28540,

Yes Lars, I just check and my microphone was off. I turned it back on and set up the recording of my external hardware, and wouldn’t you known it everything works fine. I apologize for taking up your company’s time for checking this out because of my stupidity. And here I am thinking something went wrong with the 3.5 update and getting upset with Cubasis. I’m just glad I can get back to using it. That’s mainly what I use Cubasis for is a sequencer for my hardware. Thanks for getting my back up and running Sir.

Thanks for the update!
Glad to read everything now works as expected again!

Enjoy making music
& stay well,
Lars