Understanding Splice Markers in W7

Hi there

I’m putting together a new album and using the audio montage window in W7 for the first time.

Due to the fact the CD will also be released as a downloadable album, I want to add any gaps between tracks to the songs themselves rather than PQ pauses.

Therefore I don’t need track END markers. I know W7 won’t let you have a START marker without an END marker.

So my plan was to use SPLICE markers as I will be butting tracks up next to each other (which will include 100ms of actual track silence at the start of each track to compensate for having no marker off-set) therefore I was simply going to use a START marker an END maker at the very end of the CD and at the boundary of every track a SPLICE marker.

This seems perfect, as all I would be doing is pushing the END markers right up to the beginning of the START maker and as SPLICE markers are (according to the manual) combined START and END markers they seem the correct way to do this.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Best
tmy

That should work fine, that’s exactly what splice markers are; end and start marker in one.

Another consideration though, would be making the CD (as an album) listeneable. This way you would end up having the songs on the CD starting straight after another, which may not be what you want to make it a pleasureable listening experience, depending on the type of music… In that case I’d make two variants of the montage.

Hi Arjan P

There’s still gaps between the tracks on the CD, it’s just that the gap is physically part of the end of the previous track, as opposed to being a pause created by an END marker.

That way when the tracks are ripped into iTunes of a CD or downloaded they still play with the gaps I have created.
Making the gap as some silence on the end of a track means it will always be there no matter what method is used by the end user to get it onto their portable player.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

best
tmy

Ah, I see. In that case you’re covered both ways indeed.