Understanding VST with ARIA Player

I have a project with 14 Players, each assigned to a different channel. I’m using ARIA Player VST Multi as my VST, using Garritan Personal Orchestra.

The Mixer shows me 16 VST Instrument tracks marked “APVM 01 Soprano, APVM 02, Alto, APVM 03 Tenor…” (APVM I presume is ARIA Player VST Multi: the other name corresponds to the Players.) So far, so good.

However, when I playback, only the first of these tracks has a green ‘wavy thing to the music’. If I slide that track down, ALL the music fades out. According to the VST cogwheel dialog, I’'ve only set up 1 Port with 16 channels, so these tracks aren’t different Ports.

Also in the Mixer, I have only 3 tracks in the MIDI section: 2 of which seem to do nothing; the 3rd one fades only one specific instrument. (Not necessarily the currently selected one, and not channel 1 either!)

Can anyone explain this? Why do none of the other tracks do anything? Why do I only have 3 MIDI tracks, when I’ve got 14 different channelled instruments?

You have to set the channel outputs in Aria, where it says 1/2 … set to 3/4 etc… etc…

Ah. OK, that works. Though it’s still confusing: the VST Instrument tracks correspond to Players, but not their channels: only VST outputs, which can be completely different.
So, the Tracks are “post-VST” outputs rather than “pre-VST” inputs. And the MIDI channels bear no relation to the MIDI Tracks…

Well, it makes a nice noise, at least!

As I recall, Aria has an, ahem, unconventional setup in terms of channel allocations. I think that the first audio output channel is actually the reverb, then input midi ch 1 is on audio output 2, etc. Dorico has no way of knowing what the relationship is between input midi channels and audio output channels. There is an assumption that input 1 goes to output 1,etc, which is what we use to label the mixer channels. However in the case of plugins that don’t follow this convention, the panels can be confusing. This is something that is on our list to improve in a future version. In the meantime though, if you change Aria’s settings as Frank describes, then that should make more sense. See if it’s possible to save that as Aria’s default for convenience.

Thanks, Paul. I’m a bit confused conceptually about the ‘chain’ by which one thing leads to another in terms of input and output. And still not sure why the MIDI bit of Dorico’s mixer only shows a couple of tracks. (One of them always seems to be the keyboard instrument!)

I’ve been using the Garritan ARIA Player for many years now including since I first started using Dorico. I have never had the labelling in my mixer as you show in your image so I’m not quite sure about that.

Here is a screenshot of my mixer in a present project with the channels all assigned and corresponding with my instruments ie …
Instrument 1 to Stereo Out 1 & 2
Instrument 2 to Stereo Out 3 & 4
Instrument 3 to Stereo Out 5 & 6 etc.

If there are still problems I would be happy to take a look at your file. If you would like to do this please PM me for where to send it.

Hope this helps and best wishes.

1 Like

Thanks, Michael. Nice forum. I think the only problem is between the ears, rather than in the file.

@fratveno: What if my Aria window has all 3/4, 5/6etc… all GREYED-out, except for the 1/2 option.

That means you’re using the ‘single-output’ version of the VST. If you’re on Windows, that’s all there is.

If you’re on Mac, then you have the choice of the single, or the “Multi-output”.
Screenshot

(Complain to MakeMusic about the inequality.)

Ben,
I’m on Windows and that is not the case. Although it is VST2 (not as critical on Windows), there is an Aria Multiplayer for Windows too.

1 Like

Ah: I didn’t know VST2s were still allowed!

Still, there remains a disparity between the version numbers of ARIA on the two platforms, which MM needs to address.

VST2’s are still okay in Windows, although I do not imagine that will last forever.

I would love to see Aria/Plogue/Makemusic come out with a VST3 MultiOutput Aria Player for Windows, at which point perhaps the version numbers could again synchronize.

YESS! That was my problem. Thanks Ben! All solved… I hadn’t used the MULTIS on my Mac. Yeahhhhh!!! :):slight_smile: