unease with trash bin

Hello,

recently I get a bit confused, when it comes to my trash bin on my computer - related to Dorico files.
Btw., I am on macOS.
Normally, before I empty the trash, I will give it a check and will see all the files I put into the trash since I last emptied it. Then I just delete the complete content of that folder.

Since a while though, I will see Dorico project files in there, which I have never put into the trash.
This makes me unsure, when it comes to empty the trash.

Did I put my valued Dorico project files there by mistake? Can I go ahead and empty the trash - or should I first make sure, that nothing ended up in the trash by mistake? This puts me into a situation I never had before. Normally I do the check and then empty. Now I do the check and empty with an uneasy feeling.

I know, there is a new Dorico function how backup files are handled - a function I do not completely understand.

I shouldn’t bother spending time checking. You can surely trust yourself not to delete loads of work files that you need. In the event of an accident, you can always recover deleted files from your backup.

The AutoSave function hangs onto a limited number of versions of each project. When that number is reached, it starts moving older autosaved versions into the Trash.

Ah ok. it is Doricos Autosave function.
Is there an advantage that these files are showing up in the rubbish bin?
It is uncomfortable for the user who had his usual routines so far.
Just think of something similar: deleting the trash in an email application. If you check that folder beforehand and discover an important message, you will get a little adrenalin kick before you move that message back to the folder it belongs to…
I would wish Dorico would very clearly label these Autosave files with an additional label, so to make clear, where they belong to.

Dorico used to delete autosaved files silently, with them bypassing the Trash/Recycle Bin entirely. The problem is that when you close a project, or close Dorico, Dorico deletes the contents of the AutoSave folder - except when Dorico actually has crashed. While this is a logical (and not uncommon) approach, the one time when you’re most likely to need an AutoSaved version is when a project’s been playing up. If it doesn’t occur to you to not close the project before delving into the AutoSave folder, and you do close the project, you might be rather upset to find that Dorico has deleted all the AutoSaved versions of the project.
The advantage of the AutoSaves being dropped in the Trash is that you still have the option of retrieving an AutoSave if something’s going wrong but not wrong enough for Dorico to actually crash.

Do you not find that the automatically-added date and time at the beginning of the filename is sufficient indication that it’s an automatic backup/autosave?

Leo, I am not in front of my computer now, but I have seen Dorico files with additional date/time stamp, but also ones without. So they read like the projects I am working on…

On a similar issue, I am a bit aware, as I was testing some folder synch software the other week. That one put files into the trash, but only if I had misconfigured the app settings. I gave up on that software, because it could possibly ruin my complete file system.
I know, this is a different thing, still…

You’re right, of course. The Backups are dated; the Autosaves are not.

My wish to the developers: would it be possible to also label the Autosave files with [Autosave] on their way to the rubish bin/trash?
:christmas_tree::gift: