"ungroup" MIDI lanes / "comping" problems

Hi
I just responded in the Lounge to someone who wanted some very basic hints on comping, with use of lanes.
I put a link here, because I believe it is grist to our mill.

have a look, and see if there is anything which needs to be added there, or here.

I was was thinking about this topic this evening,while making my dinner this evening, and I was thinking about ‘tools’
Selecting, cutting, copying; these are ‘prime functions’
I use a knife to cut my sausages … in order to separate them when I put them on the oven tray - I cut through the thin bit of skin which holds them together in a string.

The instructions for SOME sausages say ‘don’t peirce’.
I, however, if I am going to be stoopid enough to eat a lot of pork, insist on draining as much fat as possible, therefore, when they are on the wire trivet on the backing tray, I severely slice them deeply and diagonally. The oil drains out during cooking. At serving, I might leave them as they are, or, with scissors, finish the slice by cutting them into chunks. however, I might cur them deeply lengthways, if I am to make a sausage sandwich.
I would be deeply resentful if my knife were upgraded to only be able to do certain kinds of cuts on certain kinds of sausages.
Or if my oven were to turn itself off and give an error message according to which foods I had placed at the top, middle, front or back.

There are so many unpredictables and idiosyncracies in creation, that tools need to remain transparent to user-whim. There should be room for as many Philosophies of Post-processing as there are users.

Best wishes
Glyn