Uninstall HSO on Mac

Hi

Looks like i need some help uninstalling Halion Symphonic Orchestra that came with Cubase 6. I already have VSL SE and some other stuff, so i really don’t need HSO.

Anyways… every time i launch C6 now an annoying msg pops up; “no HSO license found…” or something like that. (I don’t remember exactly)

So … where are those HSO files hiding on my Mac ? Been looking around everywhere i think … And i don’t find any uninstaller either.

Oki, hope someone can help

Greetings, K

Hi!

Some problem here. Would love to know how to remove HSO trial software from my Mac.

Any help appreciated!

Greetings, A

WARNING - I would backup your installation drive before doing this.

I deleted the following files:
DRIVE/private/var/db/receipts/com.steinberg.HSSE-HSOContent-Doc.plist

DRIVE/private/var/db/receipts/com.steinberg.HSSE-HSOContent-Doc.bom

DRIVE/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/Halion/VST Sound/VST Sound - HSO

DRIVE/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_027_HSO_Presets_01.vstsound

When I ran Cubase 6 again and put Halion Sonic SE on an instrument track, there were several error messages about HSO instruments not found.
I chose the option to REMOVE them.

Cubase nows loads without error messages.
The standard Halion Sonic SE instruments seem to work OK.

The Put Back command can be used to move the files from the Mac Trash to their original positions, if necessary.

Surely there must be a simpler/safer way of uninstalling the HSO trial.

Having the same problem. Can’t find the var/db files that you refer to, though. How can I get to them? Are they invisible?

Sorry for the very late reply.

I used a free (donation) program such SHowHiddenFiles

@Richard62sx: Managed to delete the files you mentioned, and followed the rest of the steps. Still no joy, still getting the same error when I launch Cubase… Guess I’ll have to turn to customer support…

Very strange!
I’ve reinstalled HSO and followed the instructions in my first post.
When Cubase loaded I got the error message:
License error. No valid license found for Halion Sonic SE HSO Factory Presets 01

I still got this error message after the first 3 stages, but no error message once I deleted:
DRIVE/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_027_HSO_Presets_01.vstsound

A couple of ideas:

1. Was Cubase still running when you deleted the files? Perhaps Cubase rewrites the HSO_Presets_01 file when it closes.

2. If you’ve used the HSO demo quite often, perhaps there are other HSO files on your disk.
    You could search for these:
    Show All files as mentioned in my first post.
    Type HSO in the Finder search box.
    Click on the + sign underneath the search box.
    Check that Search this Mac (above Kind and Any) is selected.
    Click on the Kind drop-down box and select System files.
    If System files is not listed, selected Other…. and then tick the box by System files.
    The Any drop-down box should change to aren’t included - change this to are included.

Delete any Cubase HSO files listed.

Thanks Richard.

I just did all the steps including show all files

I got ride of the ‘Halion sonic factory program presets 01’, but still have the ‘Halion sonic factory program presets 02’

well half way there maybe,

then when I try and open the session with Halion it still crashes which is a bummer

thanks getting closer!

Hey all,

Hope this helps. I was right where you guys were, with the HSO demo. I deleted all the files that HSO installed and still got the error ‘HSO license error’ thing. Then I realized that the error wasn’t with the software install, it’s in the license on the Steinberg Key. I don’t remember exactly how I did it, but in the eLicenser software I disabled the HSO demo on the Steinberg Key after removing all the files I could find in searching for the HSO files.

I forgot that I had used HSO on a project file and upon opening the files after removing HSO I got the error that the ‘HSO could not be found’ or something like it. It showed up in the missing plugins category, but the point is, the project file didn’t crash.

My suggestion: Remove / Disable the HSO demo in the eLicenser software.

Hope it helps,

-Dave

Useful tip, Dave, thanks. I had to uninstall (manually) my copy of HalionSonic (full version) just to be able to open the couple of projects with it in them.

If the problem lies in the eLicenser, you might think Steinberg would chip in with this information? I wonder how many people have been seriously inconvenienced by installing the wretched HSO demo?

(Edited to say that there doesn’t seem to be any way of completely removing the licence using the eLicenser panel. I found that the HSO demo license was shown in red. I used “Validate license usage periods” and found this resulted in the HSO license becoming greyed out. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I’m now re-installing HS, which I haven’t used for weeks since this problem happened.)

Sorry, my friends, tried the validation trick in the e-licenser control panel, but I’m still getting the same, wretched error message. Been writing to Steinberg customer support, but still no answer from that side of the world yet… One would think there would be a simple, one-step solution for this.

I also sent an email to Steinberg support a few weeks ago when I was struggling with this whole HSO thing. No reply, no acknowledgement.

i’ve got more bad news. After I ran the validation thingy, I tried to re-install Halion Sonic (having previously pulled out everything HS to try to get my HS infected projects to open).

The installation apparently went successfully (Installer reported success) but HS is not appearing in the VSTi list in Cubase or Nuendo, and although the HS standalone app is in the App folder, when I try to launch it I get the error

“Plugin Halion Sonic not found - please re-install it”

I’ve done that 3 times now, no progress.

there is no actual Halion Sonic.vst file nested in the Library>Audio>Plugins>VST>HAlion Sonic location. I can’t think of any reason except that maybe I threw something away when I manually de-installed it after the HSO debacle.

If so, why does the Installer say the installation is successful?

Halion Sonic has so far been my most disastrous plug-in purchase, ever.

Anyone out there got an idea? Steinberg? Anyone?

Hi, Dave,

Sounds like you’re in a lot more trouble than I am. Hope the Steinbergians will get back to you soon… Good luck!

Hi,

I’ve got a solution to get rid of the: No License HSO thing.

Cubase always gave the warning after starting:

No Licenese…HSO Factory …
Presets … 01
Presets … 02

I deleted the following data:

• FCP_SMT_027_HSO_Presets_01.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT-057_HS_VST3_Presets_01.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT-057_HS_VST3_Presets_02.vstsound

Now it works normaly.

Good luck!

Wow, this has really been a B****. I followed your instructions but only locat the FCP SMT 027 presets 01.VSTsound file. I could not locat the VST 3 057 files you mentioned. I also note that when I open Cubase 6 it shows now that I am missing sounds of which were in my songs before I deleted. What happens if I should reinstall Cubase 6 on my Mac over the existing program will I lose anything?

In addition to my last post I received this from the “Knowledge base”: Delete all files which contain the acronym “HSO” here: … / Library / Application Support / Steinberg / Content / VST Sound
Delete the following folder: … Library / Application Support / Steinberg / Content / HALion / VST Sound / VST Sound - HSO

I followed the instructions and still received the error message. The above did not work. Now my work flow has slowed down. Why would Steinberg put out a program like this? (HSO). What would happen if I reinstalled the HSO demo software? :imp:

Here’s a thought. I have a backup so I’m going to risk my tunes and uninstall 6.0.7 and reinstalling it.

Because if memory serves. I had an option to install or not install Halion during the install process.

If you guys know this is futile or risky please let me know.