Unnecessary Common properties?

When I deselect an item, there are properties that continue to be displayed in the Common Properties panel section. Do they have any meanings? It seems like an unnecessary appearance.
Unnecessary Common properties?

The same occurs in Engrave mode.

2 Likes

The Common controls are never disabled regardless of whether they apply to anything selected or not. I think the Team regard disabling them as too expensive. I agree that it is misleading (and, for detail-oriented people like us, frustrating) to be presented with controls that don‘t do anything. But from years of experience with Sibelius, I am sure this will never be “fixed” because they will always have many more important things to do.

Just one user’s opinion: this is really unimportant.

3 Likes

I sometimes wonder whether a user actually uses the program or just looks for “bugs” to report.

2 Likes

Can I just ask where you have seen enabled controls that don’t do anything in software other than Sibelius and Dorico?

As for work, I just finished an opera score, 1800 bars, 267 pages of parts. (My first time to use cues in Dorico; excellent.)

This is a bug. If I select something with the properties panel open and then deselect that item the ‘common’ pane is populated. If I then close the properties panel and re-open it, the ‘common’ pane is empty. (Dorico 3.5.12)

2 Likes

Seriously? What does it stop you doing? How does this behaviour impede your workflow?

1 Like

I get it though, and I rescind my earlier comment. There have been plenty of times where I’ve taken 5 minutes to raise an issue on the forum that I could have corrected myself in 30 seconds. It’s because I feel a sense of personal “ownership” in this software, and we want to do our part to make Dorico as good as it can be.

I guess it’s up to Daniel and the team to decide what’s worth fixing and what isn’t.

6 Likes

OK. You have me there. It’s just annoying. Happy now?

1 Like

Yes, I don’t think it’s important either. If it is something that can be easily fixed, it may be fixed in the near future.

Huh. I had never noticed that. Good spot!