Unusual VST Performance

Hello,

I’ve been reading around the forums a bit and can’t find a solution to this problem. I recently updated from cubase 5.5.3 to Cubase 8.05. When I add only one VST Instrument or plugin, I get an unusually high reading on the average load and real time peak bars.

With 5.5.3 I could easily manage a large number of tracks of VST instruments with extensive automation and effects plugins. Also, when I open these extensive projects in cubase 8 Pro, they actually perform well. It seems it’s only when I create new projects in Cubase 8 that the problem arises.

I’m wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem with spikes in the average load and real time peak inconsistent with your setup?

I’m thinking it could be a problem with my ASIO Driver, which is Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I have had some issues with it in the past - for example it seems incompatable with facetime and skype and crashes video when I try to use it for that. But with cubase 5.5.3 it ran very well. I am using Mountain Lion (10.8.5) on a mid 2011 iMac with 16gb Ram, i7 2.8Ghz, AMD RADEON HD 6770M 512. I tried disabling ASIO Guard, changing its settings, changing the buffer rates, but the problem remains.

I know there is a most likely a very simple, but elusive, solution to this. It seems like there’s some sort of conflict, but to be honest, I have no clue. I have been searching and troubleshooting for ages and can’t find a solution.

Cheers for any advice or help,

N