Update from Cubase 7 to Cubase 13 Pro

Hello. This is my first post. Hoping for some assistance.

I have Cubase 7 installed on an old Windows 7 machine with a Steinberg USB e-licenser dongle. Win 7 machine still works well. I have a newer Windows 10 machine. I’d like to use the update to Cubase 13 on the Win 10 machine.

I understand Cubase 13 doesn’t require a dongle anymore. Can I update my Windows 10 machine to Cubase 13? Does the dongle from the Win 7 machine need to be inserted on the Win 10 machine to install 13? Can I remove the dongle after 13 is installed?
After the Cubase 13 install can I still use the dongle to run Cubase 7 on the old machine or will it be disabled from starting Cubase 7 after the update?

Its all a bit complicated and overwhelming so I appreciate any direction any can provide.

Thanks,

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You must plug the USB-eLicenser into your Windows 10 machine when activating the Cubase 13 license. That’s all. You don’t need the USB-eLicenser on the Windows 10 machine after. Yes, you can use the USB-eLicenser for your Cubase 7, you will get the Cubase Pro 11 (not upgradable) license instead of Cubase 7. So you can use even Cubase Pro 8, 8.5, 9, 8.5, 10, .10.5 or 11.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply.
That’s good news.
I’d 2 additional questions then if anyone can advise me.

1. Do I need to install the dongle on the Windows 10 machine before I start the Cubase 13 install or will it ask for it during the process?
  2. Its been about 10 years since I had to do any of this install and I’m a bit unclear as to the whole process…download manager, authorizations, registrations, etc. Is there a step by step guide somewhere that lays out all the steps and what is needed to update from a-z that someone could point me to?

Appreciate everyone’s time!

Hi,

eLicenser Control Center is going to be installed automatically with the Steinberg Activation Manager.

I haven’t found any official one. But you can go in this order.

Martin. Thank for all the great advice. Much appreciated. Will give it a try soon I hope and report back.

Best Wishes

Kevin