Update from Devs on Intel P/E core scheduling/utilization?

Also curious, because, E-Cores can be overclocked fairly high - will they be properly utilized?

Would be great to get an update from dev.

Thanks

2 Likes

Distribution of work is done by the scheduler of the operating system and, in case of the 12k and 13k CPUs, the thread director. This part is built into the processor itself.

Utilization of P and E cores is therefore done by Windows and Intel. See here

How 13th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Work.

Not sure what you want the Cubase devs to say but it all works as advertised:

I’m a dev, but not of Cubase. So far as I can tell the hardware and software are now doing what they should be doing and Cubase 12 is also doing what it should.

@JuergenP @robw

Performance issues on Intel® Core™ 12th gen (or newer) hybrid-architecture CPUs – Steinberg Support

Solution

We have started investigating this topic a while ago and aim to improve the situation over time.
As this issue is not limited to our applications, it is very likely that we will see further optimizations on the operating system level (especially the Thread Director) as well.

I think you’re speaking ideally, but realistically, it has always required software developers, hardware developers and the OS developers making modifications - sometimes in cooperation with each other, sometimes not. Sometimes it requires software developers to “get creative” and find their own solutions, or “hacks”.

In regards to Steinbergs PA page there, I would sooner maybe try to overclock my E-cores instead of turning them off.

No, just reality and knowledge on how operating systems are designed. It is a simple and well known fact that scheduling is done by the operating system. This is the Place where multitasking happens.

Microsoft is clearly working together with Intel, that is known for decades. I strongly doubt that Steinberg has any kind of impact on the way Microsoft develops the internals of Windows.

So you have taken your decision for your personal “hack”, what else do you want to hear from the “Devs”?

Why not just let the system run and see if there is any kind of impact.

Nothing at all idealistic about my response - it’s based on actual experience and observation of current OS, hardware and Cubase versions. The Cubase advice being referenced is advice, from a point of time, that predates current experience and changes in OS, Cubase and Hardware. Thread Director in particular received a major update late 2022, which made a big diffference. BIOS updates to motherboard have also made a big difference.

I have all e core enabled and they are overclocked to 4.6GHz, the P cores can boost to 6.2 GHz on light loads and sit on 5.7-8 GHz running Cubase. It’s about as overclocked as you can get without a custom loop. Cubase behavior as illustrated in my linked demonstration is exactly as you would hope for with all the cores in use in ways that make sense.

I really don’t know what else could be said to make this more realistic. Everything is doing what it should, demonstrably so.

Hence the title and theme of the thread, seeking an update directly from Devs.

In regards to software development, there’s all sorts of things and tricks that can be down to work around OS limitations. For example, there are/could be ways to trick and lead the OS’ scheduling in a certain direction. There is all sorts of CPU detection/optimization going on with software outside of what the OS offers. Many software companies have always installed their own kernels into the architecture… There’s lots more going on than just, “this is is the OS, this is how it works, this is what you work within, period.”. There always has been more going on that that in regards to “hacks”, that is the entire history of software development within OS/Hardware restraints… in some ways, the industry has been lead by hacks.

Do you have any idea what a operating system lernel really is?

No software application vendor has ever replaced a kernel, never. That is not possible, as it would replace the core of the operating system.

In Windows you can install all kinds of low Level Drivers, in MacOS you could install so called kernel extensions, but that has been blocked in the latest releases.