Update on Steinberg Licensing

This is really terrific news, many thanks.

Wow! This is indeed more than I hoped for, I wish VSL was following the same path…

This is the kind of company that makes you want to spend your money there; to invest in every part of their product line that fits your mission. Thank you so very much for listening.

1 Like

Well, Christmas is just around the corner, no? :santa: :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you Steinberg! I’ll also be looking more seriously into Cubase as a result.

You mean Musescore? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Really Great News! Congratulations to all people in Steinberg for this decision!
Thank you!

This is awesome news. Thank you!

I am absolutely amazed. When I read the initial threads responding to the original announcement of the new licensing system, I could tell that there would probably be some changes in the plan. But I never dreamed the changes would be this deep or wide. Astounding.

I’ve always said that the Daniel S team was the best group of people in software, and now I know I’ve been more than right.

5 Likes

Fantastic news! Thank you for listening to our feedback!!

Sounds good but here’s hoping the licence can also be loaded on a dongle. Presumably that crookedly-expensive ilok thing?

IIRC the USB-Licenser is not the same as a USB memory stick, if that is what you were hoping.

No. I know of an ilok dongle and was wondering if this or some equivalent could be used to hold the licence. I don’t really want to keep soft licences on the computer. However in the final analysis I’ll have to go along with what’s going, having no intention of moving away from Dorico.

Ilok is it’s own licensing system and is not a part of this.

A big part of this whole switchover was to ditch the dongle.

Wow! This is the best news I’ve heard in a long time. :laughing: Seriously!
An option to have a license on a usb stick would be nice but totally unnecessary in my case. Perfectly happy the way things are now.

Absolutely Fantastic!

No, there will be no way to use a hardware key or dongle, whether it’s a USB-eLicenser or an iLok or anything else, with products that are using Steinberg Licensing. It is a purely software-based service.

4 Likes

I, like many others, will welcome this. I’ve had a dongle since the beginning, but these last two weeks, with all the extra christmas prep, I’ve been whiplashing between work in my office during the day and my studio at home in the evenings, so I’ve had to move my dongle every day for weeks. I must say, it will be a happy day for me when I won’t need to do this anymore!

4 Likes

Why the h. does anyone STILL want something like that when we finally have FANTASTIC news and wonderful improvement with the licensing system? :hushed: :kissing: :slightly_smiling_face: :joy:

1 Like

If someone updates in the future from Cubase 11 to 12, will he or she be able to use earlier versions of Cubase with the dongle? Will the licence on the dongle remain active? It is a quite important question for studios and individuals dealing with the compability issues of earlier projects.