Update Version 8.5.15 Wont' Install

I have never had a problem installing updates before and I could really benefit from this one…

I am on Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1

I have always just updated Cubase from the installer and had no problems. Cubase 8.5.1 is installed and working on my machine. Any pointers on this?

Hi,

Is your Cubase 8.5.10 64-bit? Is it installed on the C drive? Can you search for the mentioned *.msi file manualy?

This is usually a registry problem or the update installer cannot find the original .msi installation package, like it happens when launching the installer from a compressed archive (which extracts the files in a temp folder).

Possible solutions:

1. Repair the installation from Programs and Features (quite likely, the installer will ask to provide the original .msi, please be sure to be able to locate it by having the DVD inserted or the ISO image mounted)

2. Uninstall Cubase 8.5 from Programs and Features (the application only), re-install it using wither the DVD or the ISO image (to run just the Cubase .msi installer will do) and then run the update again

Ok… I need to preserve all my preferences… . I have a somewhat involved setup here… I run 72 inputs and 72 outputs with everything mapped to external instruments, multiple monitors, re-amp channels , pre-amp racks, vocal booths, 11 mics on the drums, independent cue mixes,multi-channel midi interfaces. I have numerous templates for a variety of applications.

Rebuilding my preferences from scratch or cherry picking them one by one and testing to see if they came across is extremely time consuming. Is there one complete folder that I can safely copy and then replace after I have done the repairs to the installer? When I asked this before… I got pointed to a table with no further comment.

Is there one or more folders that I can copy and replace after the repair install? Please respond even if it isn’t what I want to hear. - Scotty

Ok I think I know what may have happened. I installed Cubase from the desktop last go around. It expanded the installer onto the desktop or somewhere else . I did some house cleaning to save some hard drive space and likely deleted the installer folder… figuring it was a temporary and not needed after the install… Nothing would tell me otherwise. Perhaps this is noted somewhere in the documentation that updates need the original installer files which should not be deleted or moved otherwise future updates will fail. A four letter word comes to mind.

I too have the same problem will not update running with windows 10 64bit .An installation package for the product Steinberg Cubase8.5 64bit cannot be found. Try again using a valid copy of the installation package Cubase85 -64bit.msi yet update 8.5 10 loaded ok, I would not know how to fix this myself I’m an ageing rock and roller in my twilight years born in the forties but very happy making music Regards

Thanks for posting… I’ll sit on this for a bit and see if this problem is just two old farts getting their wires crossed or if there is something wrong with their installer.

People empty their temp folders now and then. Depending on something being there for the next installation is very bad practice!

The same 4 letter word is in my mind…

Can you confirm that your update failed as well? Sorry if this is self evident but I am counting here.

Fabio which ISO will it ask if I do the repair install . Cubase 8, Cubase 8.5 or Cubase 8.5.1?

+1
I cleaned my temp folder a while ago, and now I can´t run the update. This is stupid!

That makes four of us.

I have incremental backups of my hard-drives so I am now pecking through them looking for the Cubase temp folder but god only know where that is.

There is no charge that Steinberg download an installer failed. I am very angry.
and us users don’t have to solve these problems for them

Yes, I have the same issue; can’t install.

Fabio and Martin please don’t leave us hanging here. If it can’t be updated because we cleaned our temp directories. Give us step by process so that we can keep our preferences, settings templates and apply update… I just need to get passed this update issue so I can get my VCAs working… I have a few broken projects that I am hoping to revisit.

We need to know which ISO to redownload, how to preserve the preferences as described above and steps to eliminate the problem from happening again… This one is weird I have been using Cubase since VST 3.7 and don’t recall updates failing.

Hello Scotty,

if you don’t have neither the ISO nor the DVD, you can use the installer:

– Go to Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features
– Uninstall Cubase 8.5 (the application only, do not touch anything else)
– Extract the Win installer’s content to a folder
– Run the installer (it will skip all the already installed content and update the components that need it)
– Run the update

The procedure is roughly the same if you want to repair the installation:

– Go to Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features
– Extract the Cubase installer content to a folder
– Select and repair Cubase 8.5
– Point Windows to the installer’s location when asked
– Run the update

[EDIT: The preferences won’t be touched. But you can back them up before proceeding, if you want.
Fastest way to find the prefs: Start → Steinberg Cubase 8.5 XX bit → Users Settings Data folder: copy the whole content to a safe location]

Second problem with a Steinberg installer occuring in 2 weeks time. First with The Grand 3 download and now with the Cubase update.

So, same installer problem over here…

Ok please clarify I am not sure which installer to which you refer in the two methods you have outlined for us. I have labelled your steps so we can be clear.

METHOD 1 - Step 3 (labelled below)… Which Win Installer are you referring to in this step … is it 8, 8.5 , 8.5.1 or 8.5.15
METHOD 2 Step 2B - (labelled below) … Which Installer are you referring to in this step … is it 8, 8.5 , 8.5.1 or 8.5.15

QUESTION: Will either of the solutions delete my preferences, settings and templates if so what will be deleted?
QUESTION: What can we do to prevent this from happening again?

Solved it by just re-installing Cubase Pro 8.5 and then the 8.5.15 update.
So there is no need to uninstall Cubase Pro first…

It’s the 8.5.0 installer, in both cases.

It won’t delete your preferences, you can back them up before proceeding, please see the edited post above.

To prevent this, you can use the DVD and have it inserted in the drive when updating. Or use an ISO image and have the image mounted when updating (must reside in a virtual drive having the same letter). Or keep the extracted installer in the same location where it was when you installed it the first time.