Updated to El Capitan - can't launch C8 & C8.5 - eLCC errors

OSX 10.11.3
eLC Version 6.9.2.1183

I just went to check the Elicenser number and for a fleeting moment saw my licenses, but after opening cubase I got the “eLicenser Control Error” and the licenses have gone again.

Same thing has been happening to me even after updating El Capitan 10.11.4 Beta to Beta 2 (15E33e).

I’m having the same problem…
It happened after updating El Capitan from 10.11.2 to 10.11.3. (El Capitan itself is not the problem)
I still have a Mavericks partition on my boot drive, and at first it seemed that the licenses on my dongle were gone…
Started Cubase 8.5 Pro, and then did something, not exactly sure what it was, but my licenses were back…
Next thing I’m gonna try is booting back onto 10.11.3 to see if Cubase will run…

Nope… Still get eLicenser Control error…
Now I’ll see if I can get back to (buggy)10.11.2… :frowning:

What version of El Capitan?? Mine was 10.11.2 and working fine, until I updated to 10.11.3… :confused:

10.11.3 as well, although it was working at first, then out of the blue… nothing

Hi Dirk,
this still happens with latest public beta (10.11.4).
I’m wondering about the reproducing. maybe it’s related to specific hardware / USB 3.0 ?
I’m using MacBook Air 13" (mid-2013) and I’ve connected the eLicenser into both direct and through hubs all USB 3.0 which my be part of the problem?

I must be one of the lucky ones, C8 runs smooth as butter for me.

The thing that really annoyed me when upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan, is that I had to reinstall most of my third party VI’s…including the extra content for Cubase (Halion, Padshop, etc) All good now though.

My 2006 Mac Pro doesn’t have USB 3.0, so I guess that’s not the cause.

I suggested that to be an issue, but i guess we can’t leave that.

I am still waiting for Steinberg support to come up with something, apart from, “your dongle is broken”, “try update to latest version of eLcc” …or after giving them all the details of what i did, what happened, what i did to get further ahead with solving this, what I think is the issue, etc, etc and etc - they suggested me to use the uninstaller provided !? … I mean, I have just told you that I went through all that jazz, i also went through your guides regarding removing all eLcc files manually.

I have my own company, and a major part of what I do is support and troubleshooting. And nothing annoys me more, than a “supporter” who doesn’t read what I write. After giving them a lot of info, eg. that my pc could read the dongle, but my mac can’t, so i cannot be the dongle that is dead, they told me to stop sending more emails, until I was told to. That is 12 days ago now.

Do you want me to solve the problem, so you can tell me how to solve it?

Excuse me for this burb, but this is starting to p… me off. I waited till 8.5 came, it was El Capitan compatible, i bought the update, and boom! No more Cubase on my maschine. At all!

It’s obvious that there is no problem with the dongles themselves. It’s also clear that some of you guys are having problems, while others are not, using the same OS version.

Has anyone done one, or both, of the following tests:
a) Try using your dongle on another computer, running El Capitan. I’m sure you friendly music store can help you with this.

b) Make a clean install containing only the OS and Cubase (to make sure that it’s nothing else that cause the problem).

If Cubase work with these tests, at least you’ll know that the problem is with your El Capitan install. Not with your dongle.

There are occasions when reformatting the HD and re-installing everything is the only way to sort things out. I do this routinely every couple of years anyway. It usually makes the computer quicker, since lot of junk (from stuff you’ve installed and removed) gets wiped as a bi-product.

That is important information, as we’re investigating possible incompatibilities with USB 3.0.

On the other hand, your system (Mac Pro 2006) is not officially supported by El Capitan.
What kind of tweaks did you have to apply to make it run?

I installed it like shown in this video.
It’s copying a pre-installed HD image and changing 2 boot files. (And than copying files with migration assistant.)
Like I said, everything was working fine, until I updated from 10.11.2 to .3.

Through Time Machine I’m now back to 10.11.2 and “everything” is back to normal…

I reinstalled El Capitan (10.11.0) by going to App Store → Purchased. Everything is working perfectly now:

• eLicenser USB is recognized
  • My POD HD 500 is recognized
  • My Steinberg UR44 → DAW recordings don’t produce a popping sound anymore.

How did you do that? i looked in to my purchased and can only find the latest version, 10.11.3

Until we receive further information from Apple, I would advice to roll-back to OS X 10.10.5 in case you encounter difficulties using the USB-eLicenser on OS X 10.11.

I have the same problem where I can’t launch Cubase Pro 8.5 on my mac due to the eLicenser problem ever since I upgraded El Capitan to the latest version.

I hope a fix is found very soon, as rolling back to OS X 10.10.5 would be very inconvenient and time consuming. I use My Mac for app development with many other applications which all work fine with El Capitan, not only for Cubase which is the only program that requires a dongle.

I reinstalled El Capitan (10.11.0) by going to App Store → Purchased. Everything is working perfectly now:

Many thanks to MatuX! I had 10.11.4 beta installed when the eLicenser didn’t work, so I took MatuX’s advice and went to the App Store and just downloaded and installed 10.11.3. When I plugged in the eLicenser again and ran the maintenance procedure everything worked! :slight_smile: It seems there is no need to roll back to Yosemite or do a fresh install of OS X. Very relieved and happy! :smiley:

Weird, my problem started with the .3 update. I’m back to 10.11.2 right now.

I agree it is weird. Perhaps just the action of reinstalling OS X after you’ve updated the eLicensor software helps to fix the problem, regardless of which version. Anyway my problem started right after I updated to the latest beta of OS X 10.11.4. Then when I reinstalled the official release of 10.11.3 the problem disappeared.