Upgrade edu-license to use Cubase at several computers? Help

Hello! I think I’ve gotten this right, but just want to be 100% sure.

I currently have Cubase 7.5 installed with an educational license, and want to start using Cubase on a different computer while still being able to use the old one from time to time. I can’t seem to fully get my head around the edu license limitations despite googling and searching these forums, so can anyone confirm the following? The educational version is restricted to be installed on only one computer. But if I upgrade to Cubase Pro 8, this license will become full and that limitation will be removed, as I understand it.

So all I have to do in order to use Cubase at two different computers (not simultaneously) is:

1. Get the upgrade from Cubase 7.5 Educational to Cubase Pro 8, making my license full
  2. Install Cubase 7.5 on my new computer using the same installation CD as did when I first installed it on my old computer
  3. Download the Cubase 8 Pro update to the new computer
  4. Then I should have two unlimited copies of Cubase Pro 8, and switch between them by transporting the dongle.

Any problems with this? My only slight concern is that my old Cubase 7.5 installation CD wont work on the new computer because the educational limitations restricts it to one installation only.

Thank you, and sorry if this is obvious and/or has been posted before (which it probably have, just couldn’t find this exact situation). Thanks again. :smiley:

There are just two limitations to edu licenses: You can’t produce material for pay, and you can’t sell the license. There is no difference in the software installed.

Really? :slight_smile: If that’s true I could just run the installation on the new computer without upgrading to Cubase 8 Pro, correct? But I’m still kind of confused. In this thread, Steinberg Forums Felipe Garcia wrote this:

Hello,
according to the Terms and Conditions given to EDU Licenses, it is only allowed to install the software on one computer (regardless of the fact that the Dongle permits using only 1 Computer at a time). That means literally, an EDU License (one) gets Support for one Computer. If you upgrade/update an EDU License, the limitations will be removed.

…which implicates that I can only use one computer. Has this changed since 2014? Or is it just not that strict? No practical limitation? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

Thanks a lot for your help. :slight_smile:

I read the EULA Legal Terms | Steinberg just now, (which means I have too much time on my hands. :wink: ) And it does say you can install it on one computer and also keep a backup. Also it appears that edu users have the right to get support for only a single install. But you can switch which computer it is installed on.

I don’t want to ruin a sale for Steinberg, but really, if you are a student and you have two installs, and use your dongle to move between the two, it seems to me that the spirit of the terms are being followed. Of course Cubase 8 might be worth buying too.

Of course if the EULA Police break down your door at 3 am and uninstall Cubase from your computer I will disavow any knowledge of this communication. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds, assuming the self-destruct algorithms are still being updated. :astonished: :laughing:

:laughing: Well I’m most likely gonna upgrade anyway so I’m safe.

Also found this on the educational FAQ:

1. Can I install a product on multiple computers?

Yes, but it cannot be used at the same time. For school and universities, we offer individual solutions.

“Cannot be used at the same time” sounds like nothing more than the dongle restriction to me.

Thanks again. :slight_smile: