UR 242 - no sound in my laptop

Hi

I’ve just bought a UR242 and I’m trying to use it to connect my turntable to my laptop to convert some vinyl to mp3. I followed the download/installation guides and have connected the UR242 to my stereo amp effectively as a Tape Monitor. That part is definitely working - the volume increases when I turn the Output knob up and I can hear the output when I plug earphones into the socket so turntable to UR242 is fine…

However… when I open the dspMixFx_UR242 Application I can see the monitor levels jumping and dropping in sync with the music, but there is no sound whatsoever in my laptop when I plug my headphones in. I installed Cubase LE, set the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO as the audio driver, and there’s no sound going in. I’ve tried with Audacity as well but get the same result.
It’s like my laptop doesn’t recognise that the lead in is for sound. It recognises that it’s there but produces no sound…

I have tried every combination of the UR242 USB lead and the in-built Realtek Speakers being the Input and Output and nothing changes the fact that I can’t hear what’s going in from my turntable.
I have checked and the latest drivers have been installed.

My laptop is a Lonovo V15 G2 ALC
Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics 2.10 GHz
Windows 11 Home version 22H2

I’m by no means an expert with these things but I like think I’m not completely handless either, but this has stumped, and frustrated me.

I’d very much appreciate any help or guidance with this.

Thanks
Chris

Hi @chrisdsneddon73, and welcome to the Cubase Community.

Just to give you a little insight on what maybe happening.

If you have set the UR242 as your system default playback device, you will no longer hear sound through your laptop speakers or through the laptop’s headphones out. All sounds’ will play through the UR242 exclusively.

The dspMixFx is for monitoring through the UR242 only, and not for your Laptop speakers or the laptop headphones output.

You can not playback sound from the UR242 through your Laptop’s speakers or headphone connection, only through an amplifier / powered monitors , or the headphones port on the UR242.

This works visa versa. If you select your internal Realtek audio driver, the DspMixFx, will not pick up sound, neither will the UR242. But your Laptop’s speakers and headphones will.

Hope this helps.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

So, if I’m reading that right, I should set the UR242 as my input default but Realtek as my default output, yeah?
I presume when I load Cubase I still select the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO as the audio driver…??
And this will allow sound to play into Cubase and thus allow me to record that sound…yes??

Cheers
Chris

You can set the Realtek audio driver for your system sounds, but use the UR242, once inside Cubase, to be able to record from the input source. But you will need external monitoring from the UR to be able to hear the sound.

Bare in mind that Cubase is in it’s own environment. Your “system” default sound device, whether ins or outs, does not have any bearing once inside Cubase. Cubase cannot use two different audio drivers at the same time ie: UR as input and the Realtek as output. It’s one or the other.

So if you want to record your vynals’, then you use the UR with external monitoring. That’s the only way I can think of.

Unless you have the appropriate cable to run from your amplifier to the Line in of your Laptop (if it has one) and then you can use the Realtek driver to hear the sound through your Laptops speaker / headphones, but this may produce an undesirable quality.

Just a thought. I know nothing of the Audacity software or how it handles audio connections, but does it allow you to select different devices for the ins and outs? ie: the UR as input and the Realtek as output? If it does, this might work.

To answer the 2nd part, yes Audacity does allow you to select input and output separately… I tried that to no avail… I’ve attempeted to attach a photo. The input is selected as Line (Steinberg U242), output as Realtek… as you can (hopefully) see the Wave recorded is a flat line…

Thanks for the image.

Did you try the ASIO Driver?

Not sure I follow your question. Do you mean did I try to select the ASIO driver as an input in Audacity??

Sorry I wasn’t as clear as I could have been. Yes, that is what I meant.

Hey. I meant to say I finally sussed it…kind of… I can get sound from lines 1&2 into Cubase but not from 3&4… but it works for what I need it to do so that’ll do me for now.
Thank you for all your help, it’s very much appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

Glad you got it sorted.

Just in case. Lines 3&4, need to be setup in Cubase as new inputs. Suppose you’ve already tried this.

Anyways, glad you can work with it now.

Good luck.