UR-RT4 to Macbook Pro - USB Hub Help?

I just bought a UR-RT4 and need to connect it to my 2019 MacBook Pro that has Thunderbolt 3 ports. Can anyone recommend an appropriate USB hub or alternate connection method that will allow me to plug the interface direct into my laptop?

The manual suggests a direct connection and advises against a USB hub, but USB 2 won’t connect to my computer. I tried using the USB hub I’d been using to connect my old Focusrite interface to my computer, but the USB light on the front of the UR just blink and blinks (I’m assuming this means it’s underpowered)

Appreciate any help or guidance, thank you!

Fix for anyone else that runs into this issue:

• Swapping the cable that came with the interface to a different USB 2.0 to USB cable from an old interface allowed me to use the hub I already own

• Steinberg recommended me a standard one input USB to USB-C adapter cable from Apple. Once I receive it I will switch back to the USB cable that came with the interface

• Steinberg recommended me a standard one input USB to USB-C adapter cable from Apple. Once I receive it I will switch back to the USB cable that came with the interface

^ I tried this and the interface still doesn’t work when using the USB cable Steinberg provided with the interface. Old interface USB cable works properly on all counts. Could be a bad cable, could be inferior tech. If anyone else is having this problem and tech support’s suggestions aren’t helping, try a different USB cable

I am having the same issue. Not sure how to proceeed.

Should this be a USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter?

Hey sternalon, here’s the set-up that eventually worked for me:

UR-RT4 —> USB 2.0 cable from an old Focusrite interface —> USB-C to USB Adapter from Apple → my macbook

After reaching out to Steinberg, I ditched the USB hub I was originally trying to use and purchased a single-port adapter from Apple that they suggested to me, but it still didn’t fix my problem. Only thing that got the interface to connect properly was swapping out the USB cable that came with the interface for a different one. Once I did that it connected first try. Very frustrating and strange.

I really love the interface and it’s a beautiful piece of hardware, but Steinberg’s support and software has been pretty subpar in my limited experience with the company

for reference

if all else fails, might be worth trying to use a different USB 2 cable than the one Steinberg supplied

Hi, I found help thorough this article : https://www.technikhiwi.de/apple-macbook-test/
It is in german, but it should be easily translated :slight_smile: Hope I could help you

1 Like