UR22 cuts out intermittently

Same problem here since weeks, I contacted the customer support and for about a week, the guy pretended to don’t know what issue was that. At the end, he suggested me to wait until the end of December because “they are trying to fix this issue”.
It’s incredible how bad is this service. I’ve a live tomorrow and I can’t use the UR22, really upset about it.
I’m done with Steinberg

The latest El Capitan compatibility chart (11/19/2015) lists the UR22 as “Compatible”. This is clearly not the case. Does this mean that Steinberg has thrown up their hands and given up trying to solve the dropout problems that many users are having?

The new updates do not include the UR22 why not? OR can I use the the 242 update? I would really appreciate an answer.

The update for the UR44 seems to be more the other applications in the bundle that have been updated. UR22 already has 1.9.6 drivers which is what the UR44 latest update seems to be shipping with. I hope they sort this out as soon as possible. The UR22 is fairly useless at the moment!

I’m testing UR22 with OSX 10.11.2 Beta 4, which addresses some issues with USB.
Seems like it’s working ok again. But, as this is an intermittent fault, I’ll let you know as soon as I get the sound drop again.
Fingers crossed. :unamused:

I have to say that I am a surprised that this thread turned from a windows issue with UR series interface/motherboard/USB controller issue, into a mac issue with similar problems. They are not likely even the same problem tho.

I just can’t believe that nobody from Steinberg has either posted anything about these issues or a moderator hasn’t separated the topics.

It just seems as though nobody cares here as to the topic or organization of them… Sad face…

You’re right. OSX Topic is UR22 issues with OS 10.11.1 iMac 5k - Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums

Bad news. Drops again… :blush:

Yes, I would like to post that I am having the exact same problem with my UR22 that I just purchased four weeks ago. I’m using it with Wavelab Essentials 8. I’m coming out of the analog outputs of my console(balanced, +4) using the TRS inputs output via USB to the computer. I’m getting intermittent dropouts on my two track 24/44 mixes, not to mention the fact that the playback of the mixes is about 3db lower than the input. I have done all of the calibration to adjust the level and have had no success. I also have the very latest driver installed on the unit,and I’m still getting dropouts. I made all of the changes that they suggest in the “Optimizing a Computer for a DAW” and that has not made any difference. Please, Steinberg, get this problem solved!

Greetings, new user here, long time problem-haver described in this thread.

Issue:
Everything runs fine with the exception of these infernal drop-outs. Can happen multiple times in a few minutes or none over the course of an hour. Seemingly totally random. Can happen in any program that produces sound (winamp/wmp/spotify/any game/DAW). Generally about a second or less, never had any longer than that. Happens thru speakers & thru headphone out on the UR22.

Kicker: I just built another G.D. computer to try to fix this problem. Granted, I needed to anyway because my old box was about 6 years old now. Complete ground up build, none of the parts the same with the exception of the operating system, the UR22 and Microsoft Security essentials. (Win7 64 Ultimate) Still having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I’m leaning so hard toward it being a problem with the card because I’ve tried so many things to fix the issue.

Old computer specs (general, its gone and been a while)
Biostar 790 XE Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2 X4/Quad core
Kingston hyper x ram - 4gig
NVIDIA GTS 260 *****
UR22 / onboard sound
And peripherals/hdd

DID update bios/chipset drivers/usb drivers/etc trying to fix the issue, no noticeable results. Tinkered in the BIOS forever disabling, enabling onboard sound driver/boot, realtek driver, few other things

New computer specs:
(NO I have not yet updated the UEFI/BIOS or chipsets yet. Trying to solve the issue before I get to that point)
ASUS M5A99FX Pro r2 motherboard
AMD FX 8370 8 core 4.3ghz
G.Skill RAM 1866 mhz 8 gigs (2x4)
NVIDIA GTX 950 *******

THINKING it might be an interference with the nVidia cards. Tried disabling streaming services and haven’t experienced a drop YET happened as I was typing this actually, but LatMon is still telling me I’m getting DPC dropouts, following message: Difficulty handling real-time audio, may experience drop outs/clicks/pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running on your system appear to be executing for too long. Problem may be power management, disable CPU throttling settings (have disabled in windows power settings, not in UEFI) in control panel/uefi bios, check for bios updates (incomplete yet.)

CONCLUSION

Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:44:05 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

\

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Computer name: CUPS-PC
OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8091 MB total

\

CPU SPEED

Reported CPU speed: 4334 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

**not sure what the issue is here, just discovered it a moment ago
Have a coolermaster evo 212 on the cpu and it runs at 111 or so fahrenheit and then the “mainboard” is at 82 deg fahrenheit. Not sure what could be throttling the CPUs just yet.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1845.986079
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 5.540673

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 699.745427
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.974804

\

REPORTED ISRs

Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 207.182049
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.106138
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.198532

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 7490225
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

\

REPORTED DPCs

DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1492.283110
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.166183
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: asmtxhci.sys - ASMEDIA XHCI Host Controller Driver, ASMedia Technology Inc

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.530150

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 40014970
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 34
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 4
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

\

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 33413
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 26982
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 620554.708814
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.646344
Number of processes hit: 30

\

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 104.00630
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 131.610291
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 9.020033
CPU 0 ISR count: 5471774
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1492.283110
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 31.056896
CPU 0 DPC count: 15933017

CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 60.998652
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 149.160821
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 3.444845
CPU 1 ISR count: 196050
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1483.012921
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 8.854114
CPU 1 DPC count: 2618821

CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 64.357694
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 140.39940
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 3.243198
CPU 2 ISR count: 193870
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 500.731657
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 8.882265
CPU 2 DPC count: 2618037

CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 65.338029
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 138.655284
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 3.333848
CPU 3 ISR count: 198201
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 328.832487
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 7.723327
CPU 3 DPC count: 2670933

CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 58.986060
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 178.982234
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 3.399161
CPU 4 ISR count: 204705
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 300.578911
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 9.537114
CPU 4 DPC count: 2730761

CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 60.163197
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 207.182049
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 3.539233
CPU 5 ISR count: 218566
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 281.254499
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 9.953744
CPU 5 DPC count: 3054890

CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 48.126205
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 138.630134
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 5.302123
CPU 6 ISR count: 332832
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1411.949008
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 13.110588
CPU 6 DPC count: 3744001

CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 92.507601
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 173.941855
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 10.742381
CPU 7 ISR count: 674227
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1472.351407
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 23.103151
CPU 7 DPC count: 6644548

As I had mentioned, I have just built this computer so some of the kinks are still in the process of getting worked out aside from the UR22 issue.

Welp, while I appreciated the call from Steinberg, it’s now been a month since I spoke to them. They’ve had three months to make their drivers compatible with the latest Mac OS. They’ve had plenty of time to come on to these forums and say something encouraging and indicate that this a priority for them. They’ve done neither. This is ridiculous. With this equipment, I can’t trust any recordings I make to not fall apart. I can’t get consistent playback. I therefore loose money doing and re-doing work for clients that I can’t bill for the lost time.

I’ll be purchasing a F0CUSR!TE device next go round.

Frustrating indeed, ParticleWave!
So the new 1.9.7 Mac driver hasn’t made any difference for you?

At least though Steinberg have released a driver that at least ‘acknowledges’ the drop-out problem for Macs.
There seems to have been absolutely no official acknowledgement of this problem for us PC users.

So yep, all these months later and I too am still having to put up with this problem.

To all reading here. For me cut outs happen when:

1. CPU usage reaches 100%.
  2. RAM usage is too high / I had some issues with ram and dual channel setup.
  3. when I use the UR 22 to be both an input source (mic) and an output source (phones out).

If the above 3 things don’t happen. No cut outs.

I have posted my specs in previous posts in this topic.

I don’t really know if we can complain if dropouts/glitches occur when maxing out CPU or RAM capabilities. That’s to be expected as it means there are demands being placed on the system that are beyond its capabilities.
But for me these dropouts are still occurring, and - crucially - my CPU usage rarely goes over 25%, and I hardly ever use more than a third of my 32GB of RAM.
Not to mention the fact that utilities like DPC Latency Checker indicate that I’m all in the green!
Baffling!

Hello ! I use stainberg ur22 and my problem is that when i record vocals for example, i have random clicks and pops.
Tried everything … from buffer size change to a different software… nothing helps . I use the latest driver with El Capitan OS .
Anybody with the same problem ? Any solution to it ?

In relation to the original problem on hand: I had this same issue on a UR12 and found that plugging it into a specific USB port (on my AsusM5A780-M-LX Plus board) which was designated by the manufacturer as “High speed” USB 2.0 cleared up the issue completely for everything except intense MIDI input (drum rolls on my Axiom 61’s velocity pads). Youtube audio works, iTunes audio works, VLC audio works, and most importantly, DAW audio works flawlessly. The only thing I haven’t tried is plugging in an instrument direct to the line-in and attempting to run an Amp Modeler (I tried using the LePou amp modelers but could only ever get 5-6 seconds of audio before a 4 second drop out) to see if it’s fixed.

My only theory (and this is pure conjecture) is that there’s not enough bandwidth on some USB connections and the UR12 is opting to just drop the incoming audio, regardless of the buffer size, but I don’t know enough of how the software side of things works to make this anything more than pure conjecture.

I had this issue as well, but with the UR12 model. I posted what my fix was here: ur 12 cuts out for 2 seconds periodically - UR Series - Steinberg Forums

Of course YMMV and the issue I was running into may be different from the one everyone else is having in this thread, but it manifested itself in the EXACT same way (dropping audio at random for a couple seconds at most). My only theory, and this is pure conjecture was that the USB ports I was using on the front of the PC (which were technically Generic USB Hub ports as far as the driver was concerned since they just go back to the motherboard on a small 8-pin plug) were either under powered or just couldn’t handle enough bandwidth and regardless of how big the driver’s buffer was, it was just dropping data between the PC, the interface, and back into the PC again. I don’t know too much about the intricacies of these things though, so someone more informed might have better advice or ideas as to what’s going on here.

Edit: Actually, after some experimenting, it may even be a power issue. I noticed that when you turn the phantom power on or off while listening to something, it drops out in exactly the same way and then does the quick fade in while panning from right to left, just like when it was dropping audio earlier. Has anyone tried using an external power source while running it yet?

hello,guys,I am a chinese UR242 user,I have same issue:cut or glitch.I have tried every driver from 1.9.0 to 1.9.6,but it remains the same.

My PC:
interl i5 6600k
GIGA Z170X UD3
G.skils 8G*2
samsong 840evo
inno3d GTX-760
win10 x64/win7 x64

this issue bother me for more than three months…So I guess it’s not of the OS or Drivers?After read all posts above,I tried disabled the “Nvidia steamer service”, but the cut and glitch still here. :cry:

【upgrade】
I tried to move my mouse to the front,usb 2.0 port onboard only for UR242,it seemed that getting better. So I think mouse that set aside UR242 may cause cut or glitch… :question:

Yeah, some months ago now I tried every USB port on my PC and unplugged everything else so my UR22 was the only USB device connected - and I still got the dropouts.
And just to clarify in relation Eloraite’s earlier post. The problem I’m (and I think a number of others are) having has never been a dropout lasting a anything like couple of seconds. It’s always been a tiny fraction of a fraction of a second. In fact it’s the polar opposite of a ‘click’ or ‘pop’ - it’s that kind of duration - except it’s silence rather than a sound.
I really hope Steinberg are working on these PC issues in their driver development.

Just wanted to chime in and mention I am experiencing this problem as well with my recently purchased UR242.

In continuing the Asrock trend, here is my set-up:
i7-4790K 4.0 GHz (Not OC’d)
16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866MHz
Asrock Z97 Extreme4 (drop-outs occurred on BIOS/UEFI v1.30 as well as the current v2.30)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 (GV-N960WF2OC-4GD)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD

As others have tried, I’ve disabled all throttling and power saving items. I have not observed any spikes using latency monitoring software. And of course, Asrock’s integrated audio plays without issue. It’s unfortunate, because I had high hopes for the Saffire 6i6, but Focusrite’s software BSOD’d my computer. So I turned to the company that developed ASIO technology.

In their defense, developers using the Windows platform don’t have it easy, but I would rather not go through the whole tech support charade, as I’ve seen play out so frustratingly in this thread. So I guess now my options are to either try a different MOBO or audio interface. I’ve heard RME’s products are pretty rock solid, but of course they’re a bit out of my price range… :frowning: