UR22 (MK1) Terrible Drop Out Issues! Windows 10, Need Help!

Ok I just had to type this up again after spending around an hour an a half putting it together I am now really pissed off lol. Starting this off I know what I am doing with troubleshooting computer issues and I am reaching out after trying everything trying to fix the driver issues with UR22. This year drop outs came out of the blue with my UR22. Used the same driver and went from no dropouts to all the sudden drop outs. My only guess after testing for months on end with new and even old driver is a Windows update that is screwing with the driver. It is just not working with the windows usb bus driver correctly. I have spent 12 hours + of listening to music and trying different configurations, uninstalling and reinstalling things and nothing is working. Even disabled the ACPI compliant control for battery as I have read that can cause dropping out and nothing. I am in despate need of help with this issue and that is why I am reaching out now. Tried to fix on my own gave it a couple of months and now I am about to buy an Apollo if I can even afford it. I loved this soundcard so much that I bought a second one and now I am feeling very regretful about it.

PC SPECS: 2015 Macbook Pro (Mid)

PROCESSOR- Configurable to 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

MEMORY- 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory

STORAGE- Configurable to 1TB flash storage. (500gb partions osx/windows bootcamp)

VCARD- AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

NOTE: I do not have any drop out issues on OSX, I use to use old drivers and have no drop outs, than all the sudden drop outs came. Yes its totally mind effing me as well and just think the only way this could happen is a windows update.

TROUBLESHOOTING

• I have tried all the power management fixes suggested on this forum and looked on other forums.

-Advance Steinburg driver settings, tried every configuration possible and all the presets. did not work

-Tried disabling the ACPI compliant controller for battery and power management as i read power management can cause issues especially in laptops. nothing.

-used latencymon and found the most activity in usb buss driver.

-tried both UR22s, both acted the same.

-tried without using the UR22 driver and just played music out of speakers and no drop outs.

-own a traktor s4 which has built in soundcard and separate drivers and have no issues with drop outs…

-Do not have this issue on OSX

-Tried unistalling DAWS and Asio4all and nothing, also tried random programs that I had running in the background at the time and nothing.

-Windows Defender is forced disabled via registry.

Below is the read outs from the advance driver monitor that you guys added.

While playing musc…

0: 0. 3 : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 13 15 
 0: 0.53 : 0 11 14 
 0: 1. 0 : I-O -681, I-F 0
 0: 1.15 : 0 11 
 0: 3. 1 : I-O -1359, I-F 0
 0: 3.35 : 0 11 
 0: 3.52 : 0 11 
 0: 4.42 : 0 11 
 0: 4.59 : 0 11 
 0: 5. 2 : I-O -4093, I-F 0
 0: 6.12 : 0 11 
 0: 7. 3 : I-O -4765, I-F 0
 0: 9. 3 : I-O -4765, I-F 0
 0:11. 0 : 0 11 
 0:11. 4 : I-O -5442, I-F 0
 0:13. 4 : I-O -5442, I-F 0
 0:15. 5 : I-O -5442, I-F 0
 0:16.10 : 0 11 
 0:17. 5 : I-O -6120, I-F 0
 0:18. 6 : 0 11 
 0:19. 6 : 0 11 
 0:19. 6 : I-O -7498, I-F 0
 0:21. 6 : I-O -7498, I-F 0
 0:23. 2 : 0 11 
 0:23. 6 : I-O -8182, I-F 0
 0:24.27 : 0 11 
 0:24.41 : 0 11 
 0:25. 6 : I-O -9553, I-F 0
 0:26. 5 : 0 11 
 0:27. 7 : I-O -10230, I-F 0
 0:27.39 : 0 11 
 0:29. 7 : I-O -10918, I-F 0
 0:30.24 : 0 11 
 0:31. 8 : I-O -11608, I-F 0
 0:33. 8 : I-O -11608, I-F 0
 0:34. 7 : 0 11 
 0:34.54 : 0 11 
 0:35. 8 : I-O -12978, I-F 0
 0:37. 0 : 0 11 
 0:37. 9 : I-O -13650, I-F 0
 0:37.24 : 0 11 
 0:39. 9 : I-O -14326, I-F 0
 0:40.27 : 0 11 
 0:40.55 : 0 11 
 0:41. 9 : I-O -15692, I-F 0
 0:41.58 : 0 11 
 0:42.46 : 0 11 
 0:43.10 : I-O -17058, I-F 0
 0:43.22 : 0 11 
 0:43.32 : 0 11 
 0:44. 9 : 0 11 
 0:44.26 : 0 11 
 0:45.11 : I-O -19795, I-F 0
 0:46.22 : 0 11 
 0:46.49 : 0 11 
 0:47.11 : I-O -21172, I-F 0
 0:48.16 : 0 11 
 0:49.11 : I-O -21854, I-F 0
 0:51.12 : I-O -21854, I-F 0
 0:53.13 : I-O -21854, I-F 0
 0:53.22 : 0 11

Stopped playing music…

0:53.13 : I-O -21854, I-F 0
 0:53.22 : 0 11 
 0:55.14 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 0:57.14 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 0:59.14 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1: 1.15 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1: 3.16 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1: 5.17 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1: 7.18 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1: 9.19 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1:11.19 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1:13.20 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1:15.21 : I-O -22542, I-F 0
 1:17.19 : 0 11 
 1:17.21 : 0 11 
 1:17.21 : I-O -23914, I-F 0
 1:19.22 : I-O -23913, I-F 0
 1:19.23 : 0 11 
 1:21.23 : I-O -24585, I-F 0
 1:23.24 : I-O -24585, I-F 0
 1:25.25 : I-O -24585, I-F 0
 1:27.25 : I-O -24585, I-F 0
 1:29.26 : I-O -24585, I-F 0
 1:31.27 : I-O -24585, I-F 0
 1:32. 2 : 0 11 
 1:32. 7 : 0 11 
 1:33.28 : I-O -25944, I-F 0
 1:35.28 : I-O -25944, I-F 0
 1:36.32 : 0 11 
 1:36.52 : 0 11 
 1:37.26 : 0 11 
 1:37.29 : I-O -27988, I-F 0

Dropouts are less frequent it seems which leads me to believe that this driver is just not working with my computer…I am getting them every few min and its just driving me insane. Please help me and sorry for the rushed response had a much more detailed until i tried to post and forum logged me out. Thank you in advance and really need help with this.

Hi
Here is a link that points out some ways to prevent your computer,

from interfering with your daw, networking, wifi, bluetooth, should
be all disabled, hard drive suspend sleep modes power modes all
should be disabled, also usb controller and busses should be prevented
from falling into states such as sleep of hibernate, screen savers and wall papers
should be static, or disabled, windows notifications disabled, updates disabled,
internal computer mic tured off, antivirus off is best, be sure your not on-line with
it off, every thing on your computer has to interupt the processor in order to perform
a task, this happens fast, but it still causes glitches, everything has to stop, then resume again,
none of this is good in the audio world.

Have you tried using the interface without a daw running, just use it with asio driver and play vlc files
through it, reaper daw is free to download and use, this would prove whether it is your daw that is at fault,
no point in buying another interface, if ti works with mac, it is obviousely working, I even use the UR22 old type
in ubuntu sutdio, and no problems.
Can you try the interface on another persons computer, install the driver first, then connect the interface,
also note, do not use usb3 port, they are know to cause trouble, also, and a big also, there is one difference
worth noting between mac and windows, mac does not care if you install a driver, plug in an interface into
lets say port number One, and next time round plug your interface into port number Two, in other words any port
will do on a mac, windows is know to have issues with this, so always use the same port in windows that you used
when you plugged in the interface after installing the driver, again, avoid a usb3 port.

Hope you get sorted

Windows is trouble, I have two laptops, one being a surface pro3 that
have become un-usable because of windows update, and update failures,
bricking my key boards, rendering the up down arrows useless, all started
when windows notice I changed the boot order to install linux, this is all ms 's
doing, to prevent people using their computers for what they want, even
system restore does not help, nor does complete reset,of complete reinstall of
linux, bios is corrupted and same problems persist,
so I bought an ipad, until I get the funds for another laptop that will never
ever see windows on it.

And to prove the point, I reset the bios on the non ms ms bios laptop and this
sorted out some of the problems, but after three complete reset and reinstalls
on that laptop being undone by microsoft update, which I can not stop as they
keep sneaking them in because it is windows home, and I turn it off only to find
windows is installing updates do not turn off, so I gave up on it, its too much work
as even resetting the bios still has not cured all the problems ms induced, so even
mounting linux carries on the keyboard issues, I sure hope ms gets what it deserves
when people look elsewhere.

First thank you for your quick response! I have tried virtually all of this that you noted in your first paragraph. It seems like most of these things would be related to processor causing drop outs not the USB driver. What kills me is the fact that the UR22 use to be flawless last year and this is using drivers that people reported to haver issues with in terms of dropouts. I wish I was more diligent about checking my windows updates as I did not know it could have this great of an effect on audio drivers…

Have you tried using the interface without a daw running, just use it with asio driver and play vlc files
through it, reaper daw is free to download and use, this would prove whether it is your daw that is at fault,
no point in buying another interface, if ti works with mac, it is obviousely working, I even use the UR22 old type
in ubuntu sutdio, and no problems.
Can you try the interface on another persons computer, install the driver first, then connect the interface,
also note, do not use usb3 port, they are know to cause trouble, also, and a big also, there is one difference
worth noting between mac and windows, mac does not care if you install a driver, plug in an interface into
lets say port number One, and next time round plug your interface into port number Two, in other words any port
will do on a mac, windows is know to have issues with this, so always use the same port in windows that you used
when you plugged in the interface after installing the driver, again, avoid a usb3 port.

Hope you get sorted

Yes I have tried without the DAW and even reinstalling them (Ableton/FL). The test that I posted in the /code was just casually playing music off soundcloud and youtube. I have tried with internet turned off and just playing music in iTunes and same problem persist. The issue is the fact that both MacBook ports are usb3 so I don’t have the luxury of using a usb2 port. My only other idea I could do to help rule that it is indeed in fact the usb bus is getting a thunderbolt hub with usb conversion. This would run through the thunderbolt driver and ultimatly I could see if its def a windows side. I believe this is not fully steinburgs fault but like stated above I use a traktor s4 in my setup and utilize its sound card and drivers. I have never run into issues with dropouts using it. Another sound interface would fix this issue as I would run different drivers as I feel that is the main issue.

Have you tried the UR22 in another computer that has not been updated recently.
I also thought you did not have such a problem on the mac, so why the thunderbolt
to usb connector, though here is a link to a man who had trouble with a presonus
interface on a mac, - YouTube
his presonus would rarely connect, and when it did it performed terribley,
he did as you mention, and bought a thunderbolt to usb connector and it solved his
problem in connecting his USB2 interface to a mac, hope this works for you.
I would definitely try your UR22 on an older non updated computer to see how your
interface works, if it works, good, but you then need to find out if it is a windows
problem or a usb problem, if it is windows, then connecting a different interface with
different drivers may result in a third interface that wont work on your computer.

Remember to use the same usb port that you used when you connected the UR22 to
the windows computer for the first time, also connect a cd / dvd writer or ssd drive to the usb
port and copy a load of different types of files and folder over to it, and see if it crashes out.

Though you said the problems are also present when not using a daw, this leads me to believe
it is windows or driver problems, now the dirver worked before, and if it was not changed,
then windows is the culprit, it has updated and broke something, just look at this crap because of windows,

there is no end to problems with windows computers these days, I will never have another windows computer.

My Macbook has both OSX and than Bootcamp with Windows 10. This is not just with producing music but everyday normal use while playing music. It drops out every minute on Windows. I just played music on osx and it worked beautifully, Its definitely a windows issue but with only the Yamaha Drivers. I will try on a different windows system to see if I can recreate it and see if it has the latest windows update. I am using the Traktor S4 (WDM) Monitor driver at this very moment with my S4’s soundcard with not a single drop out for 20min. I believe I have done everything on my end and now will be purchasing an interface for temporary use until this is fixed. UR22 works great on OSX so its not completely useless just my music production and streaming is all on Windows which is what I need for work. Thanks for all the replys this just terribly unfortunate and yes Windows is great at screwing up working drivers and functionality for dumb security updates that I DO NOT NEED! Would love to get someone at Steinburgs insight on this and atleast understanding the codes being spit out. I always get 0 11 when a drop out happens. Than just Recov number goes up.

Also forgot to mention in bootcamp I can take advantage of thunderbolt 2 in windows. Its an exclusive things for macbooks with apples own custom drivers written inside of bootcamp. I say using a thunderbolt hub because I will be running off those drivers instead of the windows USB which could be causing the interference. Only issue is hubs are all 100+ which seems a little steep for a workaround that may not work. For now a new interface for Windows should be a good temp quick fix.

Reminders

System is configured for Audio

Tried with Internet Disabled and Bluetooth

Power Management is configured

Tried every advance setting possible in Steinburg ASIO

Other soundcards, devices, drivers work without hiccups on the system

Maybe this is an issue with Bootcamp and there drivers, who knows. At this point I can’t be the only one with this issue as Ive kept quiet for a couple of months to just try to handle on my own. Hopefully Steinburg team can see this thread and maybe pin point some specific conflicts within recent Windows updates. Other devices work fine and theirs do not, its not my system, just driver conflict.

While I know the original posting regards Windows 10 – let me say at the outset that my system is on Windows 7 Home Premium – but I found the solution that is working for me regarding these horrible dropouts with the Steinberg UR22 MKII. It is a hardware solution – which may prove to be the salvation for more of you, regardless of your operating system.

First, my system particulars:
Asus Mobo, M4A78T-E
16 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 4-Core Processor, 2.91 GHz
Seagate Barracuda ST31000520AS 1 TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1
Audio Software: Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and Sony Sound Forge 10.0

I’m not doing anything terribly fancy – dry voiceovers, mainly. But as is the case with all of you, audio dropouts are NOT acceptable, for they can ruin what is otherwise a perfect take.

I had been attempting to connect the UR22 MKII to the USB ports on the computer itself – the ones on the mobo, or the ports found on the front of this Ultra ATX tower. Note – I have always used a 5V external power supply. And I was experiencing dropouts all the time – it was ridiculous. The dropouts would last about a second, and occur seemingly every 15-30 seconds or so. The USB light on the front of the UR22 would go off when the dropout occurred.

After opening a case with Steinberg Tech Support, I explained to them I did have an “old, Belkin” 5-port PCI USB card that I could install on the mobo. They said, “Absolutely, by all means. DON’T EVER use the USB ports on the mobo, or computer tower.”

Windows 7 “recognized” the card immediately, and installed a “generic” USB driver for it, dated 6/21/2006. I then connected the UR22 MKII … and I have not experienced the first dropout since! This interface has functioned flawlessly once I connected it to this ancient Belkin PCI-slot USB card.

The Belkin PCI-Slot USB card in question is their model F5U220 / N10117. My particular card must be about 18 years old & was a “working pull” from an older, decommissioned system. You can still find information about it on the Belkin website, and they do have their own driver .exe file available for download. I am getting fine performance from the generic Windows 7 USB driver … and “leaving well-enough alone.”

“Your results may vary,” of course – but I am here to tell you that this extremely old-tech, old-school, Belkin PCI slot USB card is what turned the tide for me … and my relationship with the Steinberg UR22 MKII. I find myself fortunate enough to have a mobo that still provides a couple of PCI slots!

All this being said, I sincerely wish you all good luck in find a solution to this dropout problem. My solution was gathering dust in a semi-forgotten cardboard “junk” box.

SG

Thank you for your response! Your post is definitely being helpful towards the solution! I think this is exactly backing up my findings! The Belkin PCI is installing a generic usb driver fitted for its use not a recent windows driver! I want to point out that its not hardware but driver issue from what you explained. If it was system hardware than other interfaces would experience similar issues. I have Traktor S4 and a Pre Sonus coming next week to use temporary until this is fixed. As I pointed out a year ago the UR22 WORKED AMAZING on my system on windows. Also it works great on OSX at this very moment. That generic driver from 2006 is not interfering with the Steinberg ASIO driver which I feel backs up my case that some recent driver update on Win 10 is causing issues. If other interfaces drivers can work fine than Steinberg should be able to isolate the issue and fix it. I have called and opened up a case with this thread referenced. So please anyone with issues with the UR22 please post and your findings info. Thanks guys!

Kingpin: You are welcome.

Hmmm … I do see your point regarding “it’s a driver issue, not hardware” – BUT by the same token, in my particular solution scenario, it was hardware-related. For I had been attempting to use my UR22 MKII via the front and rear USB ports that were present on my system as supplied by the Asus motherboard. And all of those ports were “active” by virtue of a June 2006-era Microsoft-supplied generic driver, not Asus. Neither Microsoft, nor Asus, ever released “updated” drivers for these mobo-based USB ports.

Only when I physically installed an old, legacy [that’s the word I was looking for] Belkin PCI-slotted USB card [i.e., different hardware] did this dropout problem go away. I am not a techie by any stretch, but from what I can see in my Device Manager, all of the USB drivers that have been loaded for my system are Microsoft “generics” from June 2006. But I don’t think I would be in the [admittedly very pleasant] position I am in now if I didn’t have this 18-year-old PCI card to try out. And this is all I had to do, period. Install the card and re-connect the UR22 MKII. I did not have to tweak any sort of settings anywhere on/in my system.

This has got to be a really frustrating hassle for people, such as yourself, who are trying to make a UR22 work with “more modern” operating systems and hardware.

I guess the main message I am trying to convey is that for those people who are running “computer tower” Windows-based PCs … check your motherboard and see if it has an open PCI slot – then install a relatively inexpensive Belkin F5U220. With a little luck and finger-crossing, your dropout problem may go away – quickly.

And to repeat to everyone as I close … best of luck to all of you.

SG