UR22 - No Sound on Playback

Hey everyone,
Please bare with me - I am completely and utterly new to recording. I have a Roland FP-7 connected via two 1/4" cables, looking to record piano via the UR22mkii AI (note: I am using a PC). I have researched this problem a lot, but am not necessarily the most technically sound yet - long story short, after recording some piano, in order to hear sound/playback of what I’ve just recorded, I have to switch my driver via Devices–>Device Setup–>Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio, change to–>General Low Latency Drive–>then hit play. It can make for a time-consuming back and forth process, coupled with reconnecting the inputs in VST Connections every time I switch back to the Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver for more recording.

Note: I also tried fiddling around in Control Panel, Manage Audio Devices, Speakers are connected to RealTek (I’ve read may be unsupported by Steinberg?). Are there any fixes for this by chance? I have my speakers plugged into my PC tower, and am currently without headphones (that I could simply plug into the ur22). Is my only solution to hear my recordings/playback without endlessly switching drivers: plugging speakers/headphones into the ur22?

Thank you so much for any help that can be provided

I’m not sure I fully understand your issue but you should be able to use the Yamaha Asio drivers all the time.

I have a Roland HP-235 hooked up to my UR44 with 1/4" cables going in inputs 5 and 6 on the back of the UR44.
Look if your lines are open in dspMixfx first.

I don’t know if you use a DAW (Cubase for eg.) or some VST (virtual instrument) to play your piano but basically you can play/record/hear your native Roland sound or use the input as MIDI to trigger a VST/softsynth.

Your speakers should be connected to the UR22 if you want to hear output from them. After all, the Yamaha driver is set to active for the UR22 so all sound is routed to the Audio Interface. If your PC speakers are connected to an ouput on your motherboard it can only be used/heard selecting the General Low ASIO driver.

Thanks very much, this answers all my questions :slight_smile:

Oh and yes, I use Cubase and will hook up a pair of headphones (ordered them yesterday) to my Steinberg AI in order to hear my audio playback from my midi recordings I’ve played via my Roland, in order to avoid having to switch to General Low Asio driver etc. Cheers

You’re welcome. Just remember to always use the UR22/Yamaha Asio Driver whenever you want to record something since this way you’ll have the best (lowest) latency.

Depending on your speaker’s input connector you could also consider hooking them up to both your motherboard as well as your UR22 using a simple adapter like one of these (https://www.google.nl/search?q=3,5+mm+splitter&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLmuqak8nSAhXKVRoKHS1-CW4Q_AUICSgC&biw=1540&bih=841). Since you can only set one driver to active your speakers will only take input from either your PC or your AI.

Lastly, unless you have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup it might be an idea to bypass your mobo<->speaker connection all together and just connect your speakers to the UR22 only using the Yamaha driver. All audio will be better and unless you’re concerned with extra power usage or “wearing out” your AI it’s a more efficient setup.

Fantastic advice, thank you very much again for providing me with multiple options like that - as a newbie to recording, it’s nice to know we can come on here and ask these “intro-level” questions. Definitely appreciate the quick feedback!