UR22 vs UR22mkII

Hello,

i’m about to buy the UR22 but i would like to know if there are real differences in term of audio quality and hardware assembly between the first release and the mkII.

Thanks

1 Like

Read this forum carefully, then go get the MKII

I have read forum topics, but none describes detailed difference between the two.
Anyway I bought MKII, but still would like to see an answer.

No, but one topic does describe why you would stay away from the UR22…Look down 5 threads… Seems it is the most common of the UR series interfaces to have severe issues with it’s audio drivers on multiple systems.

I have not myself heard of driver/dropout issues with the MKII yet.

You likely inadvertently made the right choice. :slight_smile:

Best…

Well if you are talking about “UR22 cuts out intermittently” thread, than your issue was due to ASRock motherboard and their USB chipset support, not directly related to UR22.

I read a review, which tested UR22 in RightMark Audio: RightMark Audio Analyzer тест : Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO
Results were not the best. UR44 test results were much better: RightMark Audio Analyzer test : [ASIO] Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO
So I had a hope that MKII has more in commont with UR44, so characteristic should have improved.
My own RMAA test displays better results than UR22, not same as UR44, but very close, except Stereo crosstalk and THD + Noise.

It appears there is an issue with Yamaha’s USB Driver affecting particular configurations of X99 chipset-based computers.

On an ASRock X99 WS based system, I had audio glitches with the UR22. I replaced it with the UR22 mkII (after reading jimmys69’s message) and I still have the same audio glitches with the UR22 mkII.

I am currently supporting Yamaha (through Steinberg), who developed both devices and the corresponding Audio Device drivers, providing detailed traces of the innerworkings of my PC, to help them identify the cause and resolve the problem in a future version of the Yamaha USB driver.

Since Yamaha has confirmed they are working on this, there is a good chance it will be resolved soon.

Regards

I’ve just bought a UR22 Mk2. Going back tomorrow. Absolutely dreadful audio. All latest drivers etc etc. I fail to see why Steinberg still sell hardware that just does not work. 1/10. :unamused:

The UR22mkII works very well, when it is working, it drops (most likely a Yamaha driver issue on the Mac) and then you move it to another USB port and it works for another 30 seconds until it drops again then you have to reboot the Mac to get it to work again. But it is so awesome when it is working LOL, I hope they fix this soon or I will buy a better external sound system and never buy Steinberg again. So disappointed, never in my audio career have I had so much problems with an audio interface, It worked for a while when I first got it when it first came out then Mac updated the iOS and Steinberg UR22mkII never worked properly again.

a little late but… i had problems with the driver and my old imac.
so, uninstall the yamaha/steinberg usb driver with the uninstaller incl. in the driver download and the interface will automatically use the apple core audio driver. only the loopback function will not work and i had to adjust the latency-correction of the DAW manually to be 100% spot on. unfortunately there is now way to set the latency in garageband.

IT ISN’T THE SOUND CARD OR THE VIDEO CARD OR THE MOTHERBOARD BRO! I HAD THE SAME ISSUE ON A NEW MacBook Pro. I DIDN’T HAVE THE ISSUE ON MY IMAC 27, 2011 BECAUSE THE USB ports WERE INTERGRATED INTO THE SYSTEM, THE PROBLEM STARTED AS SOON AS I STARTED USING A USB HUB, IT WASN’T POWERED, I GOT A POWERED USB HUB, MEANING…PLUGGED INTO THE WALL SOCKET, THEN INTO MY NON POWERED HUB AND THEN INTO MY MACBOOK PRO, AND IT WAS RESOLVED! INSIGNIA USB 3.0, NOT THE ONE WITH LESS OUTPUT, THERE ARE TWO FROM BESTBUY FOR $29. GET THE ONE THAT IS " 5 VOLT 3.6 AMP OUTPUT"

OK BRO! lol

All caps thing is funny. Makes you sound angry. haha!

I am glad that worked for you, but there was still issue with the UR series and some motherboards. So that could be an issue with the mobo usb controller or it’s output I suppose, but that was never found as the cause for many users issues.

Who knows, maybe you found the cure! :slight_smile: