UR22C "locked" to 1 application at a time?

I bought the UR22C to replace my now out of date audio interface from another manufacturer. I use Dorico and Cubase (primarily Dorico, and Cubase every now and then).

When Dorico is open and using the UR22C, I cannot seem to switch to Safari to watch Youtube. The UR22C is setup as primary sound input and output (no microphone attached at the moment). It’s like Dorico is hijacking the UR22C for total use, and will not allow other software to utilize it.

Leaving a message on the Dorico forum came back with an answer that it seems to work well for others. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong? Can someone please help my figure this out. So far, I am enjoying the UR22C and don’t want to go through the hassle of returning it.

Robby

Something weird is going on…

When Dorico is closed, Steinberg UR22C is selected as my default sound device.

However, when I open Sound preferences AFTER Dorico is open, it shows that Display Audio is my default device. If I change it while Dorico is open, it shows the change occurred, but does not reroute the sound. It still uses the Display Audio.

The UR22C control software is very minimal. It just allows me to select the the type of USB port it is plugged in to.

For now I think I can live with this, as I can adjust the volume on my keyboard for the display audio, but the whole things seems bizarre that it is switching between sources when I am setting it up not to do so.

And just to be clear, when Dorico is NOT running, the Mac is using the UR22C for audio. When I open Dorico, it changed the audio to Display Audio.Wwhen I close Dorico, Youtube/Safari will then use the UR22C as the sound output device, and I can control the volume with the volume knob on the UR22C.

Robby

this is an ASIO device
they are exclusive to one active pro audio app only…

This is more of a Dorico software config question, so I’ll move it to that category.

I’m not sure how it is a Dorico software config question, rather than a driver issue. Especially when the issue happens with Cubase as well?

But ok, I am trusting the Steinberg Team to know what it is best.

Robby

In the Audio Device preferences, in both Cubase and Dorico if you activate Release ASIO driver in background it should work the way you expect it to.

Sorry I cant be more specific, I’m on Windows… but it’s the same on both platforms.

In Dorico, there is no “Release ASIO driver in background”, and I cannot find it in Cubase either. That’s why I am unsure why this is considered a software config issue.

Robby

I can show you where it is in Cubase:

Go to the Studio menu and select Studio Setup

Then you should see this window, I have highlighted the option:

Found it in Cubase. Thanks!

Robby

Hi again @Robby_Poole

I think the article below gives some background on this question. A solution is creating an aggregate device using the Audio MIDI Setup utility on the Mac. An article on that follows. Kind of ironic-- something on Mac that is less straightforward than on Windows. heh.

Thanks for that info… it might explain a lot of what is going on with my system.

Robby

UR22 will sadly always give u problems. I bought it a few years ago, the promise was it would be ideal belonging to the Steinberg family. Often when W10 boots it will not recognize the interface.Like now, I have another 10 things running, and realized again W10 doesn´t show UR22. So I will have to close everything, and reboot. Punch my passwords again all over the place, again wasted time…If I add the hours It wasted for me in 2 years, it makes me want to :face_vomiting:

My UR 22 works since years without any problems… It just works…

This post is about the UR22C though.

My UR22C works fine 99% of the time. Sometimes it asks what driver to select when booting computer and sometimes during a project it changes back to 44.1 instead of 48 k that I use but mostly works trouble free.

Coming back to Robby’s original question. It turned out the following: UR22C comes with 2 drivers on Mac, one ‘Steinberg UR22C’ and ‘Steinberg UR22C (High Precision’).
Robby used the High Precision driver but in that mode the driver works exclusive and can only be fed by a single application.
The other driver though offers multi client mode, and with that you can share the driver (on Mac) between applications. With that in place it works as Robby expected.

3 Likes

I would like to give a VERY huge “Thank You” to Ulf and the Steinberg team. Ulf went above and beyond trying to help me.

I used Finale for almost 2 decades, and later switched to Sibelius full time around version 5 or 6. I did this because the customer service was exemplary! And FInale’s was non-existence. When the Sibelius dev team was released from Avid, I was beyond grateful to hear Steinberg picked them up, because I knew things would be even better than before. And now look… it all came true!

I think it is safe to say that the Steinberg team does more to help its customers, between this forum, the YouTube videos, the Discover Dorico sessions, and the private communications that occurs between users and the team members. This is why I bought Cubase and this is why I am trying to invest in Steinberg products.

Once again, thank you Ulf for all of your help. I wish more companies took the time to help and listen to their users like you did!

Gratefully,
Robby

5 Likes

Wow @Ulf! Thanks for that info. I would never have known this, and it will be very useful. @Robby_Poole glad you finally got this sorted!

Maybe there is a similar thing on Windows?
I am using a UR22C on Windows with Ableton Live. With the new Driver Version (Tools Version 2.00) its not possible to use Ableton ASIO and Windows Sound (e.g. youtube) at a time. If I open Ableton I can not listen to youtube videos.
With the older Driver Version that was possible.
Maybe you can look into it?
Thanks!

Hi @rudi2 , welcome to the forum.
I will get on Monday the Ableton trial version and try it out myself.
Stay tuned…