UR22mkII does not longer Work with latest MacOS 10.15.7 (19H114) security update

Since I installed the latest MacOS security update 10.15.7 (19H114)
my UR22mkII stopped working, the white USB LED keeps blinking. not even a reboot helps.
I have driver version 2.0.4. (which is the latest)

1 Like

I have since found out that the cause is probably the USB interface.
I use a UR22mkII from Steinberg.
It turns out that you can record with the interface only with Steinberg’s own programs, for example Cubase, without errors. If you try to record over it with Apple’s VoiceRecorder or even record a VoiceOver in iMovie, then it only works with extreme errors in the audio material (VoiceRecorder) or no audio signal is recognized at all (iMovie).
The problem with the click artefacts happens for me when I record videos via the UR22mkII with OBS.
Here the noise is not so extreme, you do not notice it right away, but after some time its disturbing.
Probably the easiest workaround is to get another USB interface.
The temporary workaround until I have another USB interface is that I record in parallel, with OBS and with Cubase at the same time and then mix the tracks together in iMovie afterwards, which is a bit tedious, but at least there is no noise in the audio material.

I don’t feel like getting into a fight with Apple or Steinberg about which of them is to blame for the fact that it doesn’t fit together.

Hey, that sounds like the problem I had when I first upgraded to Catalina. I have upgrade 10.15.7 and UR22mkII, and I just tested it and my unit records fine with Garageband and Logic. The problem I originally had (which sounds like the one you’re having now) is that the unit itself has firmware that needs to be upgraded. I have no idea how to do it, I had to have a support call with Stienberg, they remotely took control of my computer and updated the firmware, they said it had never been done (it worked perfectly fine until the Catalina upgrade so I didn’t bother to find out how to do it). But good luck!