UR22mkII Input 2 Hi-Z switch

Hi there,

Disclaimer: I’m a noob with the UR22mkII, I just received it today.

I’m not sure to understand what are the cases when I need to activate the Hi-Z switch on Input #2:

• Should I activate it when I directly plug an active bass? (I think it’s a clear yes)

• Should I activate it when I directly plug a passive bass? (I think yes, but not 100% sure)

• Should I activate it when I plug a bass through an effect pedal? (not sure at all)

• Should I activate it when I plug a bass through a multi-effects pedal? (not sure at all)

• Should I activate it when I plug a bass through a DI box (or DI output of an amp)? (seems from the documentation, I should not)

• Should I activate it if I direclty pug my bass with a symetric jack? (seems from the documentation, I should not)

At the end of the day, what if I never activate that switch? Is there a danger for the audio interface?
I suppose I can just adjust the Input #2 GAIN and I’m fine.
Quite frankly, I don’t really understand the value of that switch…

Thanks in advance for your advice and answers.

Best regards, Erix.

Good evening,
All I know about it is that hi-z is dedicated for bass & guitar only, no matter if it’s setup on active or passive gears. I can also confirm that hi-z input are available on some multi-fx especially designed for guitars.

The truth is that it’s barely noticeable and the ending result is pretty much the same as if it was not hi-z. I have been testing it myself and so should you do it. Just make sure you disable it when you connect another type of instrument or use balanced cables.

Hope it helps

Z stands for impedance, and if you connect a sourse with high impedance you should use the Hi-Z.
So here is how i would treat the cases you outlined above.

1 No, an active bass has a built in buffer, so it’s low-Z.
2 Yes, a passive bass is Hi-Z.
3 In many cases no, as most pedals have an output buffer built in. There are buffer-less pedals, and also any true bypass pedal will be bufferless when turned off.
4 No, not generally. In fact I know of no bass multi-effect that lacks an output buffer.
5 No.
6 I don’t understand what this question means? If your bass has a symmetric output it will either be a balanced signal, in which case the answer is No, or perhaps some other specialized version of connector which I’m not aware of.

Hi, I have a similar question on plugging in my Electric Guitar, hope you can help.

Can I ?

Plug my Electric Guitar into my PEDAL BOARD ( Boss Pedals etc), then into my AMP

removing the Amp Speaker Cable to the Speaker and plugging the AMP directly into the UR22 MK2 Hi-Z input which is connected to my PC with CUBASE 11.

This allows me to have the Guitar/Pedal/Amp sound that i want, and record it directly through to CUBASE, rather than Mic-ing it UP!

thanks

Hi Dave
No you can’t do that, you will ruin your soundcard.
You will need some kind of load box or a passive DI ( Warm Audio has a good one). But since you will need to run IR cabs anyway I would suggest going from pedal board to UR22 and use both amp and speaker sim in the box. The money you save on not getting aload box can then be spent on software amp sims:)
Clarification: Going from Amp to DAW will noit give you the same sound as micing unless you use an IR cab.
Also, if you huse a DI you will need to connect to your cab too if you have a tube amp.

Hi Strummer

thanks for the reply, so from what you are saying Mic Up, other wise, I’m going to be messing about with other hardware and software, don’t really want that. I want the sound of my Amp (Valve/Tube) and pedals on the recording.

My question came about because on a previous visit to a recording studio, eeeer… about “many” years ago, we plugged the guitars straight into the mixing desk out of the Amp (disconnecting the Amp Speaker) and recorded to Reel to Reel track that way. Just thought !!!, I have a small mixing desk could I go through, direct from my amp outputs and into the UR22MK2 ?

Guitar ----> Pedals -----> Valve/Tube Amp -------> Mixing Desk ------ UR22MK2

regards Dave73

Theere are times when that application might be useful, but there is no way to give sound advice as it is impossible to know all the parameters. Like I use a 100 W Yamaha bass amp speaker out to record with, but I cannot suggest anyone else doing it…
Also, using a tube amp without a load is always a baa idea, so if you want to use it without speaker you must get some kind of dummy load, and a hi Z input is not an option instead of a speaker.
I would suggest you try to get in touch with the tech at that studio and ask flat out what was used…

I think you are right , a little caution may be the right thinking.

Just looked at some of the example setups in my Mixing Desk Manual, and they do show the Guitar going through the Guitar effects and then into the mixing desk - No Amp. SO maybe my memory is a little washed out :slight_smile:

I also just looked at the technical side of input output values;

From Amp output you have 8 Ohms
Guitar Direct Output AC 20mv - 1V ? (online value depending on Single Coil or Humbuckers)
Inputs on the UR22MK2 state that:-
… Channel 2
… Mic [-60dBu ~ -6dBu]
… Line [-40dbu ~ +14dbu]
… Hi-Z [-55.5dBV ~ -1.5dBV]

I know this is a little technical; It says online

dBu and dBV are decibel units specifically for measuring voltage. Unlike the dB, they are actually units because they can be converted to an actual voltage value . dBu is dB relative to 0.775 volts; such that 0dBu = 0.775 volts. dBV is dB relative to 1.0 volt; such that 0dBV = 1.0 volt.

Also (h.t.tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level)

Although line inputs have a high impedance compared to that of line outputs, they should not be confused with so-called “Hi-Z” inputs (Z being the symbol for impedance which have an impedance of 47 kΩ to over 1 MΩ. These “Hi-Z” or “instrument” inputs generally have higher gain than a line input. They are designed to be used with, for example, electric guitar pickups and [direct input] boxes. Some of these sources can provide only minimal voltage and current and the high impedance input is designed to not load them excessively.

1 Like