UR242 Input 1 Only Input Being Recognized By Windows

I have a UR242 connected to my computer via USB. I have 1 microphone input via XLR on the front on channel 1. I also have another input on the back via input 3 from another computer. When I look at the dspMixFx software, it shows that I am getting audio from both inputs, however, when I look at the “Line” Steinberg UR242 input in the windows “Sound” settings, I only see the “bar” on the right side light up when sound comes through the microphone (input 1) and not through input 3, no matter how loud I play the audio into that input. Is there something I’m missing that controls what audio gets sent through what outputs and what audio gets sent to windows via the USB connection to then be used by other applications?

I’m in the same boat. I get input through the device itself, I can hear through dspMixFx and it works in Reaper but I can’t figure out how to make windows recognize it for use in other software as a mic.

Same here, already opened several topics and Tickets but no solution yet. It came with the 1803 release of Windows and nothing except Cubase gets any mic input.

I have the same problem , I wanna to use input 3 and 4 in skype , Camtasia and etc.

Same problem here

You have to use the Steinberg/Yamaha USB driver to access all the features. Are you doing that?

I have the same problem - in Windows Sound Recording I see only one Steinberg Line device and it shows activity only when I play through inputs 1 & 2 of UR242 - it doesn’t show activity when I play through inputs 3 & 4. I am testing this because I have an issue with ASIO4ALL not listing inputs 3 and 4 of my UR242 in Cubase. With the Steinberg ASIO driver it has been working fine for 3 years, but now I bought a Roland SE-02 boutique synth, and I would like to use its integrated USB audio interface for both audio and MIDI connections, as all four inputs on my UR242 are used for other synths, and I use ASIO4ALL to aggregate UR242 and SE-02 inputs into one audio interface available in Cubase. In Studio Setup window in Cubase though I don’t see inputs 3 & 4 from UR242 listed, when using ASIO4ALL (see the attached screenshot). When using the Steinberg driver, all 4 inputs are listed (again in the screenshot). If I switch temporarily to the Steinberg driver, create a track and use UR242 inputs 3 & 4 in it as a stereo pair, I am able to both play and record on that track. If I switch back to ASIO4ALL though, I can still play through that track (audio is heard from the synth, when the monitor button is lid), but I am not able to record what is heard in a clip - the clips become silent. Inputs 1 & 2 from UR242 and SE-02 inputs work fine in both scenarios. I guess the missing 3 & 4 inputs in ASIO4ALL in Cubase is a result of the missing Line for inputs 3 & 4 in Windows

ASIO4ALL version: 2.15 Beta 1

Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO version: 2.0.4.

Cubase Artist version: 10.5.30 build 365

Windows 10 Pro build 19042.1348Windows Sound Recording
asio4all_control_panel

Hello, you probably have a broken USB, maybe it’s too loose after a few years of use, buy a normal cable with a USB and you will connect to this cable as many devices as you want or maybe you have a broken device because it can also be such a problem

I just tried with two other USB cables - the same issue. If my UR242 is broken, why does it work perfectly fine with the Steinberg ASIO driver in Cubase?

Tried two more USB cables - 5 different USB cables in total, the issue is still there. It is observed also in Ableton Live 10 Lite. To my opinion there is an issue in how the Steinberg USB driver exposes the inputs to Windows.

This really isn’t likely at all.

I think the full functionality is only available via the Steinberg ASIO driver. Though there might be more to it – I feel like I’m forgetting something about this right now!

I think I am on the right way of thinking that the issue is, that the additional inputs are not exposed at OS level. The article on Focusrite’s site below explains exactly that - how to expose additional channels to be visible to WDM apps. And ASIO4ALL in general translates between ASIO and WDM, so it doesn’t see the additional inputs, because they are no available as WDM devices in Windows. Now the question is have Steinberg provided functionality to expose the additional inputs on OS level like Focusrite have done, and will I have to buy a more expensive audio interface, with more inputs and proper handling of WDM devices, which will be future-proof (not from Steinberg)?

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360010711620-How-can-I-select-different-inputs-outputs-in-non-ASIO-apps-on-Windows-

I am wondering why the Configure button in Windows Sound Recording is greyed out for all input and output devices - on the screenshot in the first post it is greyed, and although on the screenshot no device is selected, it stays greyed also when I select each individual playback and recording device. The user I am using is an administrator… Wondering whether if I manage to enable the Configure button, I would be able to add the missing line ins?

You could use loopback. This would let you use any hardware input but it will not change how the OS sees the device. It will still be 2 in 2 out.

I’m doing this with skype and zoom. After turning the loopback on it doesn’t matter which input I use as all hardware inputs are looped back to OS on channels 1 and 2.

But in that case I will not be able to record different inputs on different tracks.